• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Elvis Upesleja

Can I write a browser game only using Java?

This topic is 931 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just finished my first year in College where we each made a simple platformer game as our final project using Java. 

I aspire to make a browser game that I have planned out well, but I don't know any other languages (except for HTML and CSS basics).

At the moment I have no idea how to transfer my current knowledge to a browser based game but I'm sure I'll find plenty of tutorials, but what I first would like to know is this even possible. What other languages do I need to know, or should I drop Java and try to learn another language for the process? And most importantly, what kind of topics should I research first.

Thank you.

Edited by Dogeball

Advertisement

Please don't. JRE (and plugins) is a huge annoyance for users. You may want to look into JS and the HTML5 canvas instead. There's plenty of material available for that. Just google HTML5 game development and see what comes up.

http://www.gwtproject.org/

And libGDX supports it, which is a game development framework for Java.

EDIT: God the GWT site sucks at explaining what it is, its a toolchain in which you can code in Java (under some restrictions), then compile that to JS/HTML/etc to deploy a web application.

[randomrant] All web-related libraries have sites that spew 90% fluff and no actual "Here is the actual stuff this fucking thing does" explanation [/randomrant]

Edited by TheChubu

As Khatharr said, HTML5's canvas system, and JS are the way to got for front end, however if you are looking to make it multiplayer you could use your Java knowledge there for the server. I am a lead dev on WarIn.Space, and this is the system that we used for this. Bare bones, only basic libraries. if you would like any help with it let me know.

Yes you can, using the built in Java Applet

Please note that a lot of folks do not have Java enabled in their web browser.

Edited by Code Fox

As Khatharr said, HTML5's canvas system, and JS are the way to got for front end, however if you are looking to make it multiplayer you could use your Java knowledge there for the server. I am a lead dev on WarIn.Space, and this is the system that we used for this. Bare bones, only basic libraries. if you would like any help with it let me know.

You really are a white knight

I strongly advise against this. Java Applets are a huge security hole, not to mention the negative reputation they have. Much better just to go with LibGDX. Code everything in Java and deploy to HTML5/JS, Android, iOS, PC, Mac, Linux and who knows what else.

I strongly advise against this. Java Applets are a huge security hole, not to mention the negative reputation they have. Much better just to go with LibGDX. Code everything in Java and deploy to HTML5/JS, Android, iOS, PC, Mac, Linux and who knows what else.

^^^ This

I wrote the book on Java game programming, and even I say don't try this.  Your time is better spent literally doing anything else.

Thanks for the replies guys. 

EDIT: God the GWT site sucks at explaining what it is, its a toolchain in which you can code in Java (under some restrictions), then compile that to JS/HTML/etc to deploy a web application.

Are you saying that this is an okay way to go about this, converting a Java game into different languages using GWT, or should I just suck it up and learn JS + HTML?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!