• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Chronogeran

Operator overloading with const instance of the class

This topic is 783 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a Vector3 type with overloaded operators bound like so:

r = pEngine->RegisterObjectMethod("Vector3", "Math::Vector3 opAdd(float)", asFUNCTIONPR(Math::operator+, (const Math::Vector3 &, float), Math::Vector3), asCALL_CDECL_OBJFIRST);
r = pEngine->RegisterObjectMethod("Vector3", "Math::Vector3 opAdd_r(float)", asFUNCTIONPR(Math::operator+, (float, const Math::Vector3 &), Math::Vector3), asCALL_CDECL_OBJLAST);
r = pEngine->RegisterObjectMethod("Vector3", "Math::Vector3 opAdd(const Math::Vector3 &in)", asFUNCTIONPR(Math::operator+, (const Math::Vector3 &, const Math::Vector3 &), Math::Vector3), asCALL_CDECL_OBJFIRST);

When the Vector3 instances involved in the + operator are not const, everything works. But when the left operand is const in a Vector3 + Vector3 expression, I get the following script compile error:

ERR : No matching operator that takes the types 'const Math::Vector3' and 'Math::Vector3' found

And when the Vector3 instance is const in a float + Vector3 or Vector3 + float expression, I get the following script compile error:

ERR : No conversion from 'const Math::Vector3' to math type available.

I am using AngelScript version 2.30.0.

Here is the example AngelScript code:

Math::Vector3 vec1;
Math::Vector3 vec2;
Math::Vector3 result;

result = vec1 + 5; // Works
result = 5 + vec1; // Works
result = vec1 + vec2; // Works

const Math::Vector3 constVec;

result = constVec + vec1; // Error 1
result = vec1 + constVec; // Works
result = 5 + constVec; // Error 2
result = constVec + 5; // Error 2

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Advertisement

It's only as wrong as it would be if you tried to do the same thing in C++. The expression 'constVec + vec1' is equivalent to 'constVec.opAdd(vec1)'. opAdd is a method like any, so it may modify the instance. The compiler can't know if it does, especially for an application-registered function, so by default methods are not available for const instances, just like in C++. But like in C++, you can easily enable them: "Math::Vector3 opAdd(float) const".

Ah, of course. I had tried that before posting, but I probably modified the signatures of my native calling convention bindings while I was set up to use the generic ones. Thanks for the reply.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!