• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vlion

3D formats+modellers...

This topic is 6141 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hiya. I know that free 3d modellers are fairly lousy. However: Does anyone know of a fairly good one that supports a common format- 3ds, obj, dxf, etc... I know there a quite a few demo/share versions out there. I really dont want one of those, they fail after while, doncha know... Related to this- Whats a good 3D format for my needs ? I want to build a landscape roughly 1000x1000 tiles long- The geometry would be basically CSG. Does not need to contain texture information. Is polygons, no curves. I`m using opengl and c++. thanks, ~V''lion I came, I saw, I got programmers block. ~V''''lion

Advertisement
You could use tga files, because you only want to receive height values, right ? Then you can easily paint your landscape with an image editor...
and just read for example the green channel, 0xFF green is your max height , and 0x00 your min height ...

Free modelers suck? Try gMax I think someone wrote some export scripts already for it (LW and .3DS I believe)

E-mail me and I could get you a really cheap copy of 3ds max r3 at less than $40. It''s like the best modeling program and basically accepts many of the formats you mentioned and it has really good animation stuff and it''s really good for terrain too.
Please e-mail me if you''re interested at: skatetronics@yahoo.com
But please reply as soon as possible then I could probably sell it to you for even cheaper than I mentioned.

I''m also a 3d programmer using c++ and I would suggest either going with .3ds format or the .md3 format because they could store alot of information in them!

Guest Anonymous Poster
blender is free and it does not suck

Guest Anonymous Poster
blender is free and it does not suck
http://www.blender.nl

"That would be import, not export scripts for gmax.

Oh, my mistake. I knew it was one or the other; thought it was export

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!