• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By isu diss
      How do I fill the gap between sky and terrain? Scaling the terrain or procedural terrain rendering?

• By Jiraya
      For a 2D game, does using a float2 for position increases performance in any way?
      I know that in the end the vertex shader will have to return a float4 anyway, but does using a float2 decreases the amount of data that will have to be sent from the CPU to the GPU?

• By ucfchuck
      I am feeding in 16 bit unsigned integer data to process in a compute shader and i need to get a standard deviation.
      So I read in a series of samples and push them into float arrays
      float vals1[9], vals2[9], vals3[9], vals4[9]; int x = 0,y=0; for ( x = 0; x < 3; x++) { for (y = 0; y < 3; y++) { vals1[3 * x + y] = (float) (asuint(Input1[threadID.xy + int2(x - 1, y - 1)].x)); vals2[3 * x + y] = (float) (asuint(Input2[threadID.xy + int2(x - 1, y - 1)].x)); vals3[3 * x + y] = (float) (asuint(Input3[threadID.xy + int2(x - 1, y - 1)].x)); vals4[3 * x + y] = (float) (asuint(Input4[threadID.xy + int2(x - 1, y - 1)].x)); } } I can send these values out directly and the data is as expected

Output1[threadID.xy] = (uint) (vals1[4] ); Output2[threadID.xy] = (uint) (vals2[4] ); Output3[threadID.xy] = (uint) (vals3[4] ); Output4[threadID.xy] = (uint) (vals4[4] ); however if i do anything to that data it is destroyed.
      If i add a
      vals1[4] = vals1[4]/2; 
      or a
      vals1[4] = vals[1]-vals[4];
      the data is gone and everything comes back 0.

How does one go about converting a uint to a float and performing operations on it and then converting back to a rounded uint?
    • By fs1
      I have been trying to see how the ID3DInclude, and how its methods Open and Close work.
      I would like to add a custom path for the D3DCompile function to search for some of my includes.
      I have not found any working example. Could someone point me on how to implement these functions? I would like D3DCompile to look at a custom C:\Folder path for some of the include files.
      Thanks
    • By stale
      I'm continuing to learn more about terrain rendering, and so far I've managed to load in a heightmap and render it as a tessellated wireframe (following Frank Luna's DX11 book). However, I'm getting some really weird behavior where a large section of the wireframe is being rendered with a yellow color, even though my pixel shader is hard coded to output white. 

The parts of the mesh that are discolored changes as well, as pictured below (mesh is being clipped by far plane).

Here is my pixel shader. As mentioned, I simply hard code it to output white:
      float PS(DOUT pin) : SV_Target { return float4(1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f); } I'm completely lost on what could be causing this, so any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. If I can help by providing more information please let me know.
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

DX11 Can't render 2 triangles in a basic DX11 example

This topic is 699 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everybody,

I'm following this tutorial, where they show how to setup a simple dx11 demo with a green triangle in the middle. I'd like to be able to modify it so that it shows 2 triangles instead, in order to do this i modified the code of the Graphicsclass.cpp in the tutorial by adding some lines to the Render() function, just after the first triangle is drawn, like this (the code i added starts at //ADDITIONAL CODE):

[...]
// Put the model vertex and index buffers on the graphics pipeline to prepare them for drawing.
m_Model->Render(m_Direct3D->GetDeviceContext());

// Render the model using the color shader.
result = m_ColorShader->Render(m_Direct3D->GetDeviceContext(), m_Model->GetIndexCount(), worldMatrix, viewMatrix, projectionMatrix);
if (!result)
{
return false;
}

//ADDITIONAL CODE
// Reset the world matrix.
worldMatrix = XMMatrixIdentity();

// Translate to the location of the second triangle.
translateMatrix = XMMatrixTranslation(1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);
worldMatrix = XMMatrixMultiply(worldMatrix, translateMatrix);

// Put the model vertex and index buffers on the graphics pipeline to prepare them for drawing.
m_Model->Render(m_Direct3D->GetDeviceContext());

// Render the model using the color shader.
result = m_ColorShader->Render(m_Direct3D->GetDeviceContext(), m_Model->GetIndexCount(), worldMatrix, viewMatrix, projectionMatrix);
if (!result)
{
return false;
}
//END OF ADDITIONAL CODE
// Present the rendered scene to the screen.
m_Direct3D->EndScene(); 

But the second triangle doesn't show up, i also put the complete example on github in case you want to try it yourself. I'm sure i'm missing something pretty basic but i can't figure it out.. i'm going crazy.

Edited by rekotc

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement