Sign in to follow this  

The Week of Awesome IV ! - Fourth annual unofficial gamedev.net competition - Administration thread.

This topic is 488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[background=#fafbfc]Slicer, can you remove my name from IYP's team? Thanks.[/size][/background]

Well, that was short lived :P

anyway, it has been asked in chat on the idea of allowing helpers that don't wish to join any team, but are interested in contributing assets or work to any teams that need assistance throughout the week. I have participated in jams before that have a group of people that act in this way, but with this jam also being a contest, it presents issues with how rewards are handled, especially to those that act as helpers. anyway, before i'd get into the nitty gritty of working out how a helper would participate, i'd like to ask if their is interest in anyone who would like to act as purely helpers, basically are their people that would make it worth pursuing this idea or not?

Though I personally will not be using 'helpers' (my artist and I will be doing 100% of the work, and use free online resources for the remaining 72%), I don't mind others using them. The idea of other teams using them doesn't bother me.

As for any 'prize' issue, I think just making it simply 'anyone not officially on a team [even as a solo competitor] will not get any share of the prizes, even if they helped a team win'. And if the team itself wants to divvy up the prize differently, that's their business and not a burden/responsibility the contest admin should have to carry.

Though I personally will not be using 'helpers' (my artist and I will be doing 100% of the work, and use free online resources for the remaining 72%), I don't mind others using them. The idea of other teams using them doesn't bother me.

As for any 'prize' issue, I think just making it simply 'anyone not officially on a team [even as a solo competitor] will not get any share of the prizes, even if they helped a team win'. And if the team itself wants to divvy up the prize differently, that's their business and not a burden/responsibility the contest admin should have to carry.

I appreciate the input Servant, however it seems not much discussion has been generated :P anyway i'll leave this topic open for anyone that wishes to talk more on the subject.

onto other matters, i'd like to thank iedoc for his additional support of 100$ to the prize pool!

I'm in again, I enjoyed last years. Just me though.

Team: Stout Walrus

Members: ArThor

Also, I was one of the people who used the word "disappointed" in my post mortem last year and I'd just like to reiterate that it had absolutely nothing to do with you slicer, the competition, its handling or anyone except myself! I felt I could of done better and lost points because of my own mistakes and failings, the competition taught me a lot about actually getting a game into other peoples hands and I'm glad you're running it again.

Last year I had a lot of fun working on my project.  Didn't do very well but that was why I entered was to get some good learning.

So will be tring it this year but as a solo unless someone would like to help me.  Not sure if I will use Unity 3D again or my custom game engine I've been building in C++, just depends on the topic I guess.

Team: TeamYAG

Members: LEde

... I hope your all getting prepared for the week!

Hmm... I'm honestly not sure of how much preparation there is to be done (for me, at least)--after all, the game is to be developed from concept to completion within the confines of the contest, and the rules prohibit any development beforehand.

That said, I have been considering what bits and pieces I have available to me at the outset. I have most of my traditional elements: my game-saving, key-mapping, and animation-blended actor modules, specifically. For a very small game--such as fits into a week's worth of concept and development--this should be sufficient alongside the elements provided my engine of choice (which remains Panda3D).

I've also made a decision regarding one matter regarding what I intend to make for the competition--specifically, what I intend to eschew making. I might go into this in more detail in a blog post, but in short I've noticed that I have a tendency to fall back onto distant-third-person dungeon crawlers (generally procedural) when making small games, and I've decided that this time I intend to do something different. This doesn't necessarily mean that I won't use procedural generation, or even dungeon crawling--a game along the lines of Darkest Dungeon wouldn't be excluded under this little restriction of mine, for example. Still, I want to branch out a bit in this competition. (All of this is presuming, however, that nothing in the themes pushes me towards that sort of game specifically (which seems unlikely).)

Hmm... That does bring up a question for the judges, if I may: are there any gameplay genres that should be avoided due to one or more judges disliking or dismissing them? For example, would a "walking simulator" or a visual novel be marked down (perhaps in the "gameplay/fun" category) just for being such?

... I hope your all getting prepared for the week!

Hmm... I'm honestly not sure of how much preparation there is to be done (for me, at least)--after all, the game is to be developed from concept to completion within the confines of the contest, and the rules prohibit any development beforehand.

"Prepared" is just standard phrasing for, "Make sure you have lots of Dr Pepper."  :wink:

Jokes aside, the only "preparation" for myself would be making sure I have an empty project able to fully compile a day or so before the contest begins. I don't want to stumble over toolchain issues during the contest.  :rolleyes:

Hmm... That does bring up a question for the judges, if I may: are there any gameplay genres that should be avoided due to one or more judges disliking or dismissing them? For example, would a "walking simulator" or a visual novel be marked down (perhaps in the "gameplay/fun" category) just for being such?

Honestly this is a difficult question, what one judge likes, another may dislike. even though gameplay/fun is a heavy category, i've always felt most judges were able to set aside any bias they have toward a gameplay type to make a fairly objective call. This is why you should also seek outside play testers(family, and friends are a good resource if you can have them spare a few minutes) to ensure your on the right path, and not blinding yourself to making something that might not be all that fun, or needs work to polish off some of the unfun mechanics.

One more bit of preparation: I've started thinking out a rough plan for my use of the competition days. (I think that I recall doing this last year, too.)

As in the previous two competitions, I intend to use six of the seven allotted days. My outline, at present, is then this:

Day 1: Concept.

- If I develop a concept early enough, I'll likely start in on implementation. There's risk in this--I find that concepts benefit from being given time for issues and refinements to be revealed--but I'm dubious of my ability to sit in contemplation all day, and time is short in this competition.

Days 2-4: Implementation

- At this stage I intend to use whatever art I have lying around, with only minor modifications, if any. Some of this might remain in the final version, some of it may be replaced later.

- I intend to release prototypes as I go, ideally one per day--feedback on these can be invaluable, I believe!

- Depending on how things go, I might implement basic sounds and music-handling during this period, using sounds and music that I already have lying around. This might result in an easier "sound and music" day (see below).

Day 5: Sound and Music/Ambient Sounds

Day 6: Polish and Final Art

- It's at this point that I intend to replace any art that wants for replacing.

- If I'm running behind, this is the day that's most likely to be sacrificed.

This is why you should also seek outside play testers(family, and friends are a good resource if you can have them spare a few minutes) to ensure your on the right path, and not blinding yourself to making something that might not be all that fun, or needs work to polish off some of the unfun mechanics.

True, perhaps--but this wouldn't really answer my concern, I feel. For example, if a judge holds that visual novels are inherently poor in gameplay, then my testers enjoying a visual novel prototype wouldn't be a useful indicator.

However, if there are none such genres, then I'm glad. ^_^

Slicer, I wouldnt mind being a helper and just making random art assests that people needed. However, I dnot want to be obligated either. I would simply see a list of what was needed, pick what I wanted to do, and provide that to the people. That would be fun for me, as an artist.

Slicer, I wouldnt mind being a helper and just making random art assests that people needed. However, I dnot want to be obligated either. I would simply see a list of what was needed, pick what I wanted to do, and provide that to the people. That would be fun for me, as an artist.

I've been giving it some thought, and i'm willing to test this out this year. here is my thoughts on how it'll work. any team can make one active artpiece request at a time, i'll maintain a list of people looking for artwork. any artist whom wishes to contribute to that list can not be on a team(or maybe they can be on a team?, i'm unsure if i should make this a requirement), and also is accepting that they are ineligible to receive prizes. Lastly each team making a request should be under the expectation that their request may not be fulfilled. Does anyone have issue if this is how things will work for helpers?

I feel like you shouldn't volunteer to judge if you don't think you can reasonable set aside your personal biases for the context of the competition, personally. 

I've been giving it some thought, and i'm willing to test this out this year. here is my thoughts on how it'll work. any team can make one active artpiece request at a time, i'll maintain a list of people looking for artwork. any artist whom wishes to contribute to that list can not be on a team(or maybe they can be on a team?, i'm unsure if i should make this a requirement), and also is accepting that they are ineligible to receive prizes. Lastly each team making a request should be under the expectation that their request may not be fulfilled. Does anyone have issue if this is how things will work for helpers?

That is a pretty decent idea. I would certainly make it clear that there is 0% reliance on the item being done on time, cause nobody knows what will happen. As for being part of a team, if you solo why team up? makes no sense, so I say they cant join a team if they making art assets for everybody. And for prizes, that should be worked out between the team and the artist. If the team wants to throw the artist something for the work that is cool, if not, the artist should be cool with that as well.

Does anyone have issue if this is how things will work for helpers?

I probably won't be taking advantage of such an opportunity but I have no objections. It's more likely I'll be struggling with the theme and the mess of spaghetti that I call my game engine than worrying about making the art look spectacular. :)

I feel like you shouldn't volunteer to judge if you don't think you can reasonable set aside your personal biases for the context of the competition, personally. 

Fair enough--that's encouraging to read, and thank you for the response! ^_^

Hmm... Not a bad idea, I think. The only real thought that I have on it is to recommend to my fellow entrants that such a service not be used for anything terribly important: after all one doesn't know whether the request will be picked up, or fulfilled to one's liking, and there seems to me to be little time in which to find alternatives. As a means of improving the polish of one's entry, however, I think that it could be quite useful!

(I'll likely not use such services myself, I think, but that's at least in part my habit of using my own art (excluding music).)

This topic is 488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.