• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
JoeJ

Vulkan GCN Shader Extensions

This topic is 778 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement

As a side note, I feel OpenCL is going to be legacy very soon.

Really? Doesn't OpenCL 1.2 and beyond support SPIR-V, like Vulkan?

Maybe on Windows, with SM 6.0 and DXIL if someone will put more attention on DirectCompute (what about a new and improved version of C++AMP?)..

I think OpenCL will stay - it has most of its applications outside games / graphics. Or are there any games using it?

Personally i liked OpenCL a lot more than GLSL for compute. Easier to use, more solid programming - less 'just a shader', and it was always faster on any hardware i've tested.

SPIR-V already draws a line between OpenCL and Vulkan-Compute:

"Execution models include Vertex, GLCompute, etc. (one for each graphical stage), as well as Kernel for OpenCL kernels."

I don't know if there are technical or business reasons behind that.

Because there are no plans for OpenCL <-> Vulkan data sharing, we have no choice anyways.

But those extensions are exactly what i want and there should be no big reason to look back to OpenCL.

Really? Doesn't OpenCL 1.2 and beyond support SPIR-V, like Vulkan?

Maybe on Windows, with SM 6.0 and DXIL if someone will put more attention on DirectCompute (what about a new and improved version of C++AMP?)..

It is my understanding that extension is a bit sporadic in support. OpenCL already has some quirks in the API and the main implementations (AMD) are... I don't trust them. API aside, even the compiler varies considerably from version to version (oddly, the compiled blobs are surprisingly portable); nonetheless the article doesn't mention OpenCL, or Spir-V for the mattter. In the OpenCL forum multiple people have expressed interest in a 'low level no fat added API'. Honestly CL looked more like a prototyping thing than a production API to me. Maybe I'm just reading a bit too much between the lines. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!