• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
toniron95

Open Source game to help me learn code arhitecture

This topic is 835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone! 

I've been playing around with SFML lately and I would like to start working on a simple game(probably space invaders clone) for start. However I would like to know how the proper game arhitecture should look like. For that I would like to take a look at finished game and its source to to see kinda in what direction I should go. The game doesn't have to be anything complicated, simpler is even better, but I would like to have as much as game dev patterns as possible(If that makes sense). Also doesn't really matter the language, I would prefer C++ but I can just translate if it is something else.

Cheers!

Advertisement

Cheers for the answer! So would you think it would be wise to just ignore that for now and roll with my own intitution, and then after I am done just let someone do the quick code review?

Yes. You can certainly post in this forum if you want people to review any aspect of your code.

Edited by Josh Petrie

Cheers for the answer! So would you think it would be wise to just ignore that for now and roll with my own intitution, and then after I am done just let someone do the quick code review?

What you can do is either just go ahead and write the game/engine and then look for advice, or come up with whatever ideas you think are reasonable and then post them here to get feedback before you start implementing it.  This way you can get a better understanding of what the pros/cons of that approach are, plus you might be some additional insight into how you might do it better, before you commit to it and then find out it was tragically flawed.

And I agree that looking at source code is not that useful.  What you need is some basic understanding of how things work and then you can use that to judge different approaches.  You gain this by practice and experience, but some advice before you start can lead you to gain experience that's more valuable rather than possibly just getting frustrated.

What you can do is either just go ahead and write the game/engine and then look for advice, or come up with whatever ideas you think are reasonable and then post them here to get feedback before you start implementing it.  This way you can get a better understanding of what the pros/cons of that approach are, plus you might be some additional insight into how you might do it better, before you commit to it and then find out it was tragically flawed.

And I agree that looking at source code is not that useful.  What you need is some basic understanding of how things work and then you can use that to judge different approaches.  You gain this by practice and experience, but some advice before you start can lead you to gain experience that's more valuable rather than possibly just getting frustrated.

I started working on a simple pong game and so far it is actually easier than I thought. I will definitely post the source code once I am done to see what people think on what should be changed/improved and change that before moving on the next game and then actually hopefully use that advices straight away in next project.

I would love to see that. Maybe I should start out basic sort of like that. It seems like I am trying to get to much done to fast. The world now days has our minds set on the triple a games and not looking at what we are doing. Think in a mindset like it was the 1980s and you will see how cool your game is. Even if someone beat you to it. It is still an accomplishment that you got it done. You made it. Yourself maybe with a bit of help but still you learned next time you can go bigger. Until you can make your own game.

WOW I can't believe I just typed and inspirational speech when I needed it myself. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!