• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Abstraction

DX8 display modes

This topic is 6055 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In the DirectX8 documentation about the D3DFORMAT type under Remarks it says: "Note that render target formats are restriced to D3DFMT_X1R5G5B5 D3DFMT_R5G6B5 D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8 D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8." Does that mean I can only create a device with a 16 or 32 bit display(as long as my video card supports it). What about 24 bit color or even D3DFMT_A1R5G5B5? When I enumerate the display modes am I guaranted to only get from 0 up to all of 4 of those modes and no more? Also on my machine under DirectDraw7 8, 16, 24, and 32 bpp display modes work just fine. When I enumerate display modes with Direct3D8 all I get are 16 bpp modes. What''s the deal? I have a VodooIII card.

Advertisement
The limitation on 16 bit or 32 bit render targets is, I believe a result of the integration of Direct 3D into direct x graphics, since most current 3d cards support only 16bit or 32 bit rendering. I don''t know why your voodoo 3 doesn''t show any 32 bit modes though.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!