• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
stucker.lance85

Building a game like "Game of War"

This topic is 923 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have all the ideas written down and all the math done. I just don't know what to do for developing the game into an app. I just downloaded unity. Will this be enough or do I need other programs? What do you guys recommend?

Advertisement
I have all the ideas written down and all the math done. I just don't know what to do for developing the game into an app. I just downloaded unity. Will this be enough or do I need other programs? What do you guys recommend?

Do you know how to program?

If not, I'd recommend to start with a much simpler game first to get your feet wet.

You are aware of the scope your are talking about?

I give you two links to skim:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/07/25/machine-zone/

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Overview/Working-at-MZ-EI_IE409080.11,13.htm

Couldn't find more information about the exact team size of Game of War. Couldn't even find the exact company size for Machinezone in a quick search.

Still, we know MZ has 501 to 1000 employees (so 501 at least). We know that MZ is talking about Game of War as an "very ambitious MMO". So we are most likely talking about a development team of 50+ people, who most probably worked on the game for 1+ year. These are all professional devs.

Now, how do you plan to build a "Game of War like game" on your own, when it would take you 50 manyears at least, even if you are an expert in all the disciplines involved?

Okay, lets get down to the basics. You are WAY out of your league. Put down that design you have there, shelf it for now. Ask yourself if you are ready for a LOOOONG journey. Then start with WAY simpler games first. Pac Man, Tetris, Stuff like that.

Learn programming. Learn to create some basic art, find sources for stock art, or find an artist willing to work with you (hint: ain't gonna be easy unless you have become REALLY good as a programmer and ready to share creative ownership with the artist).

Learn to use engine editors. Yes, Unity is a pretty good one. But its complex as hell, and you still need to know programming. And you still need art. So don't see it as a shortcut, its not.

Then, when you have some games under your belt, maybe you can dust off that design your wrote down there that had gathered dust on your shelf for some years, and see if you are now ready to tackle something of a scope approaching this... you most probably still need to downscale the scope, unless you got filthy rich in the meantime.

And best drop the plan to create an MMO right now. Yes, different people call things differently, and we had some heated discussions with people wanting to build MMOs on this very board just to find out they just wanted to build a plain old Online Multiplayer game.

If we talk about millions of users and tens of thousands concurrent ones, no, just no. Unless you are so filthy rich you are typing this from your yacht somewhere in the pacifics.

Edited by Gian-Reto

I don't think it would take a long time...
I need to draw a picture of a kingdome. And each building. Allow players to place building where they want. Then I need a world map. Resource spots and a few monsters. That's about it. I have the combat system done. Which is different than them all. I have the skills. Building time formulas and VIP bonuses. All of it done. It really can't be that hard. I'm not building a game like "league of legends" that would take forever. I'm not building a game like "charter" or "dark souls" or "wow" these games are hard. I did all the hard work already. And I bielive my game would be successful. Because I'm basing it off other successful games. I understand key words. I'm not stupid. I've built many board games and card games. I've written other video games but never saw potential for them.

So can I find helpers? Or should I solo the project? A lot of you have experience. Would it take long to do what I described up top? I went over my numbers many times. The combat and math and flow of progress is all great. That is the hard part to this type of game.

Between this and your other topic on the lounge, I don't think anyone has stressed this (and if they have, it hasn't been near loud enough) one point in particular:

Design is a tiny fraction of what goes into making a game.

Particularly design before any actual coding is done, is little more than a concept.  Actual design occurs during development, as you iron out things you left hazy (and may not have even realized you did) and revise your ideas on what, contrary to your expectations, turns out not to be all that fun.  Even that en medias res stuff is maybe 10% at most of what goes into a game.  The work you've done so far is probably somewhere between 0.01%~2%, depending on how thorough you were.

Yea. I realize designing will take time. I can draw a kingdom in an hour or 2. Each building I can Google image. Get an idea what it looks like. Them make a simple structure. Doesn't need full details. World map needs a small kingdom. And some resources and a few monsters. Army marching image isn't to hard. Combat system was going to be simple like all the others but I decided to take it to a chess board. So I need 7 unit images with a move and attack image now. Before it was just auto combat with no action. But this newer version can't be much more difficult. For materials for equipment its so easy. I need 4 images. Just change images in different cors for different monsters. And have a star rating for quality. To easy. I have factions. I'm literally making the game slightly complex yet simple. The game can be 2d for all I care.

I made a Zelda game on a Ti-86 calculator in highschool 15 years ago. Lol.

But do you still believe this to be hard and needs 50 developers?

Game Of War looks like a tile based RTS / base building type of game.

HERE is a video tutorial to get you started ...

Programming the AI for a game like this is not going to be easy!

So let's say I have 20 buildings. Each building takes 2 hours to make a simple structure with min details. Just enough to make it look like something. So 40 hours of work. You think more?

Coding. I did the math. So I just need to learn how to code it in. This is not my first designed game. I've designed many. My personal experience with game play and writing out my own ideas has given me the experience I need.

I have a sales job. All commission. I do advertising for my sales and close the sales myself. I make 4 - 12k a month depending on how much I want to work. But I don't love my job. I love game developing. I'll learn unity. U mentioned it will be enough. :) thank you. I don't need 1 mil a day like game of war. I'll be happy with $100 a day. There is a huge passion for these types of games. I have cool ideas and I believe it will be fun for the users. :)

Keep your thoughts coming. I like a challenge. I'm use to hearing the negative and unexpected answers from my job. I'm good at finding sololuyions to problems. :p

I'm watching the video, "code fox". He is building an RTS like star craft. I love that game BTW. But that is a hard game to make. My game doesn't need all of that. I'll watch the videos to learn but most of it I won't need if its like "star craft".

My combat system will be like "hero's of might and magic" turn based. It won't be like star craft.

This topic is 923 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.