• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
polychrome

Steam controller suitable for musical/rhythmic output?

This topic is 840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on an Indie Game project which involves music creation, including playing musical parts with simple instruments. I'm hoping to release it on Steam. I very recently bought a Steam controller, with hopes that it would be a relatively good controller for music and rhythm related input (compared to a mouse and keyboard). I was expecting nice analog style output from the thumbstick, and hopefully some sort of accurate and nice responsiveness using the trackpads. Ideally, I was hoping to find that it could seem as musical as the guitar controller for Guitar Hero in some ways.
   My initial impressions are pretty disappointing, however. The thumbstick output seems just like the arrow keys on a keyboard, rather than a nice analogish stream of data going from -1 to 1 for each axis. The keypad seems surprisingly 'clicky' and clunky, and doesn't seem like it's going to be very 'musical' in any way.
  However, maybe I'm missing something, and the controller has great potential as a sort of musical controller.  Does anyone have any thoughts about this, either to confirm that they think the controller is set up for different sorts of gameplay and not very musical/analog output, or maybe the controller has great potential and I simply haven't come across it yet?

Advertisement

I don't know how to do any of this from a programming point of view but the Steam controller has masses of options to play with if you go into Big picture mode (you will have to select a game first then edit controller config for it). You can have the thumb stick act like key board buttons but it is analogue so you can get the -1 to +1 (not sure if that's how it out puts exactly). It also has a gyro so you might be able to make use of that too. Check out the configuration, there is so many options and cool things you can do with it.

As I said though, I haven't tried using it as a programmer, just from a gamer's point of view. I'm sure you could do much more with it using Steamworks or whatever it is you need to access the controller.

Thanks for the suggestion to check out the gyro. I had forgotten that the controller had that. It might output some nice analogue goodness.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!