• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

HTML5 / Javascript , box2dweb, createjs pitfalls?

This topic is 687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I've created a game using HTML5 / javascript, box2dweb and createjs.    My plan is to publish the game to the playstore and the appstore by using PhoneGap/Cordova.  

If you have any experience publishing and supporting a game using any of the above technologies could you could share your experiences?   Is there anything I should lookout for?   

Thanks

Edited by 00Kevin

Advertisement

Both processing power and memory are concerns.

Many older devices and low-end device struggle to use those technologies at a fast pace.  With javascript it is easy to blow through the limited memory on devices, meaning budget devices and old devices are a concern here, as well.

The cutoff is usually severe.  You go down a step in hardware and everything runs well, you go down another step and performance is terrible.

If you are doing your development on a relatively new high-end device, be sure you test it with devices that are both older and cheaper.

If you're publishing HTML5 games with Cordova to mobile devices and not web, I highly, highly, recommend you to use Crosswalk. You can use CocoonJS as well.

The reason why I recommend you these is because normal PhoneGap/Cordova uses the default browser of the phone through WebView, and that every browser on that single phone may vary and most often can be broken. Those tools I recommended to you, wrapped your application along with a browser engine, which means you can say your game runs in the same browser, even though they are played on different devices. They usually focus on performance, but the downside is your application file size increases because there's a browser embedded to it; roughly around 25mb or so.

The other issue is processing power and memory usage as frob explained, but you got to test this on your own to make sure cause I don't know what kind of game you are making.

thanks for the advice.   I've actually just moved over to the Intel XDK which uses Cordova.   The app preview functionality is really great.    I can test on any device simply by installing the app.  

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement