Distributed Processing

Started by
5 comments, last by Prozak 22 years, 4 months ago
Hi all, I''m running SETI@ Home, and I got kindda curious at how the program works. The program gets a small file from a server... Doesn''t the IP address of the server need to allways be the same? I would like to create a program that calculates huge amounts of data, in a distributed processing way, but for that I would need a Master server, correct? with a fix IP addres, right? That way the child aplication would be able to contact the server at the same ip address... These are my small thoughts, please contribute to this discussion... Hugo Ferreira UniteK Future "Concentrate, and you can see it. If you see it, then it is possible. If it is possible, you can Achieve it."
Advertisement
They probably have a DNS server and a record pointing to the download server.

Psalm 137:9: "Happy shall he be, that taketh and dasheth thy little ones against the stones."
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Arild Fines is right, considering the size of the project, they''ll have their own routing, DNS setup etc.

If you have always-on servers or complex needs, a fixed IP address can be allocated from www.ripe.net (for European registration).

For example our company (Creative Asylum Limited) has servers permanently connected to the internet, our upstream ISP allocated some fixed IPs on our behalf. You can see an example here:
http://www.ripe.net/perl/whois?query=213.130.129.80

We''re only a small company, SETI is a massive organisation. Looking up SETI reveals they have a big block of fixed/pre-allocated IPs to use (and thats even before any name based routing takes place):

http://www.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=NET-NET-SETI-INST

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

ok, i understand static ip addresses,
BUT...
at home, with ip adress = 200
having static ip adress = 666

i know the client person, to connect to my prograam, must use
static ip 666, but my program, at home, on ip 200, does
not receive a client call....

are u getting what im saying here?

how do u go from having a program on your computer, runing
24/7, on an dinamic ip, to a program on a static ip?

i still don''t get it...

please help me out on this one...

Hugo Ferreira
UniteK Future
"Concentrate, and you can see it. If you see it, then it is possible. If it is possible, you can Achieve it."
You''ll have to contact your ISP and tell them you want a static IP. They''re the one who allocate your IP address (as seen on the internet). Most broadband ISPs will have a static IP plan - that means you''ll probably need a cable modem or DSL or something. You wouldn''t want a static IP on a 56K modem anyway...

codeka.com - Just click it.
The solution to what I think you mean is this.

The client knows the ip address of the server (static)
The server does not know the ip address of the client (dynamic)

The client logs on to the server, and tells the server "Hey, I''m on this ip address, start sending me some packets!!".

Now the server knows where to send the data to.

Hope this helps

Kasper.
Little data, big calculation. Otherwise the speed of the network transfers makes distributed processing slower.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement