• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
YorkGameStudio

Creacorp - Pokémon Inspired Game

This topic is 759 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone,

I am developing this game for a couple of months, I think I'm ready to show it here

About:

It's a game inspired on the Pokémon RPG games for GB/GBC/etc. Of course I don't want to make everything exactly like Pokémon, it will be 3D with some changes on the battle system, and some other mechanics. The essence it's still the same, you have your creatures and they battle, get stronger, evolve and etc, etc. I also want to add a lot of small features that I've been thinking during the development and before, the battle will have some influences from games like Disciples (6vs6 battles), tactics games like Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls (the way you interact with environment) and a lot of other things.

ZD81RIO.png?1

Some pictures:
OD7KWIY.gif
player's creature following him

CjeI2zD.gif
preview of the battle system

9brwPWF.gif
hostile wild creature following player and engaging a battle

Hpdprf3.png

veWSvcH.png
well, there is not that much grass anymore, it was too expensive. :(

rSU3REp.gif
Roken volcano

Some characters (Those are just for prototyping the game, not actual characters of the game):
3mlmsu2.png
3V28nun.png

B9I8KrC.jpg?1
MSqNaYN.png

Some creatures
Qfq2wbo.png
hdH0GzL.png

IT7yidc.png
XQxsqji.png?1

0fCsvY9.png
d0Pjfdd.png

UBv9dsz.png
oN2xwn7.png

And here is the first devlog video, it shows a bit of the battle system, map exploration and etc. (as you can see on the thumbnail)

For now on I will be making more devlog videos so subscribe! Also, if you have a wordpress account you can follow the progress at http://bit.ly/yorkgs, the last post is a more detailed explanation of what is show in the video.

That's it for now, I hope you guys liked and I'm accepting feedbacks, thank you!

Advertisement

Hey guys, sorry for the long time without posting here, I wanted to have something nice to post before posting.

So, here it goes, I just finished drawing all the 20 creatures that will be available in the prototype.

Here they are:

oL2msbG.jpg

You can also check them individually (for bigger resolutions) in the social medias:

Thanks guys and I hope I'm not breaking any rule for bumping a 60 days old thread...

That looks really nice!

While the character and creature models could use some more detail/texturing, the environment itself has a pleasing aesthetic to it. Nice saturation level. With some additional colors, and more variation and details, that world would be very pleasing to explore (visually).

The volcano looks like a Death Mountain rip-off, though - I'd advise not having a ring of smoke around it, but leave the smoke billow out the top normally. It's just too iconic of Zelda.

Congrats on your progress; I'd love to play this game in the future.

(especially if I can play it cooperatively with another player, both exploring the same world independently)

Another suggestion, which is probably bad advice, is that your animals look too much like Pokemon... and many of Pokemon's creature designs look stupid and bland. Pokemon has some great creature designs, but way too many bad designs also - too low of a hit-to-miss ratio. You creature design seems to be following the same pattern, where Pokemon's creatures seem to lack cohesion, creativity, and thought. /// In My Personal Opinion ///.

If you polled every Pokemon fan about their favorite Pokemon, and tallied up the votes (and compensating to counteract the bias of earlier games), I think you'd find that there'd be a big exponential curve of popularity, with a subset of maybe 50 or so Pokemon being very popular, 50 or so being somewhat popular, and 50 or so being moderately popular, with the remaining *600* being not very popular. But if they were all designed well, there may still be a slight curve, but I'd speculate that the distribution of popularity would be much more even.

I would suggest designing every one of your creatures to:

A) Look and feel as if it could be the protagonist of the entire game - that if no other creature existed, it'd still be fine, because <CurrentCreature> is still that great.

and B) not look like the creature could be dropped into a Pokemon game and blend in unnoticed.

But hey, what do I know? Pokemon sold bazillions of copies.  :lol:

Just food for thought.

[Edit:] I circled my favorite designs of the ones you posted:

95a8a44984.png

The trend is:

A) The colors are subdued.

B) They don't look like generic Pokemon.

C) They look like they could almost be real animals in real life.

I still suggest a bit more detailing/texturing though! To better hint at fur and scales and feathers.

The Sloth and the Dog - I'd suggest killing the blue, and instead give it a color that is a darker version of the color the animal already has (i.e. darker grey for the dog, and darker brown for the sloth). I like the gold on the horse, but please let it be not born that way, but that the decor/armor is added on by humans!

Edited by Servant of the Lord

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!