Serious Problems with computer

Started by
17 comments, last by Daixiwen 7 years, 10 months ago

[attachment=32194:viber image.jpg]

I started getting this sudden shut downs about 3 weeks ago. This first time it started it was really scary, I thought I my computer was permanently damaged because it kept looping between blue screen error message - restart with very long fixing time - complete blank screen where absolutely nothing happened (and I have to force-shutdown) - blue screen error message. Finally after about 6 hours (tbh my heart was in my mouth all the while ... I didn't really keep track of time , but it felt like it continued for well over 6 hours)... after this long fixes, it seems my computer was fully restored -or so I thought

...I thought the problem was all over. But I was wrong. Now it still regularly suddenly shuts down and restarts with this blue screen abruptly appearing without warning (causing me to loose hours of work several times) to restart again. Sometimes 3 times a day, sometimes with a gap of 2/3 days in between. Though it never does the 6 hours thing again, I need to fix permanently , Not being an expert here I don't want to tinker with the Window 10

Searching for BAD POOL HEADER took me on a wild goose chase with many people suggesting many things - particularly for older versions of Windows.

Anyone have a clue of whats going on and how I can fix it or diagnose for a permanent fix? Or maybe its a well known problem with a ready fix?

(During the most recent blue screen, while shut out of Windows 10, I didn't have access to print-screen so I took a picture of the screen)

Many thanks

Edit: I found this recently, suggesting a number of fixes. Anyone know if any of these works better than relying on windows fixes?

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Advertisement

Can you use BlueScreenView to check the parameters and then consolt this MSDN page?

Looking at the MSDN page indicates that it originates in a kernal driver somewhere.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

before you do anything, BACKUP YOUR DATA BEFORE IT WON'T BOOT AT ALL!

you could be in serious bad mojo land here, do NOT take chances.

back it up, then start futzing with it.

worse comes to worse, reinstall - cause you have a backup now!

but seriously. back it up, very first thing. she might be going down. you don't want it to take all your source code and assets with it.

in the end its sounds like a corrupt config file or maybe a bad spot on the hard drive at an unfortunate location (like where win10 system files are).

back it up, start with a checkdisk, then work your way up from there.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Anyone have a clue of whats going on and how I can fix it or diagnose for a permanent fix? Or maybe its a well known problem with a ready fix?

A program, probably a hardware driver, has a bug where it trashes memory. The memory it happens to corrupt is a data table that keeps track of how a pool of memory is allocated.

You'll need to find and identify the thing that is causing the problem. We had a machine that had the problem after a Windows 10 upgrade, after a bit of troubleshooting someone found that the old driver used for its audio card was the culprit. It crashed reliably when starting up teleconference software (when audio started) and removing the old audio driver caused it to stop.

There are tools to open up and review the dump files, but it is not easy to read. It can take time to hunt it down. It is often easier to just wipe the machine and start over, being careful to not install any third-party drivers as far as possible.

Good luck.

WhoCrashed is the easiest tool for reading dump files - and it's free !

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Open up the Reliability Monitor (it's a program that comes with Windows).

Look at the history to see if there's a point at which the problem suddenly started. Look at the previous days to see if there is an app or driver or windows update that was installed just before the issue started occurring.

If it's an app, try uninstalling the app. If it's a driver, try rolling back the driver. If you don't see anything suspicious, perform an exhaustive RAM check. Then check the SMART status of your hard drive.

You may be able to find more details for BSODs in the Event Viewer, but there's a lot of stuff in there and your BSOD may be hard to find.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I am checking each advice you have given

Things are getting worse, I just got this

[attachment=32226:crash2.jpg]

I should have expanded the "Show details" first before closing it, but me being in panic mode now means I am missing out on some things at times

So I first need to back up my stuff on one drive

I do back up of course Like Noman Barrows says, but I just never backed up on onedrive before. I need to do that first because my normal external disk space is not large enough

Then afterwards see what the reported damage is all about. What's the possible consequences if I ignore "shutdown, don't use until repair" warning?

Does any one know if microsoft's onedrive is a good place for backups, particularly considering security and privacy issues?

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Thanks everyone for the advice, I am checking each advice you have given

Things are getting worse, I just got this

attachicon.gifcrash2.jpg

I should have expanded the "Show details" first before closing it, but me being in panic mode now means I am missing out on some things at times

So I first need to back up my stuff on one drive

I do back up of course Like Noman Barrows says, but I just never back up on onedrive before. I need to do that first because my normal external disk space is not large enough

Then afterwards start the recovery process

Does any one know if microsoft's onedrive is a good place for backups, particularly considering security and privacy issues?

I think you can cover the security issue by using a archiving (7Zip, WinRar, Etc) (even if it is just using the minimum compression ratio) to and encrypting the contents.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

What model of hard drive do you have?

You mentioned that the crashes are more frequent now. Is there an average (even a rough guess at one) up time your machine has between crashes? If it's reliably a couple of hours you can index the files on your hard drive (a powershell script would do it just fine, and quickly) and then set up a schedule to compress/upload/copy-to-thumb-drive pre-sized chunks of data in order of importance. It would suck to be in the middle of backing something up and then have your computer do a hard restart and corrupting your backup.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement