• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Norman Barrows

what was the first video game?

This topic is 910 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

for 1st commercial game, i'd imagine it was an arcade cabinet machine. but what was the first one to show up at the arcades alongside pinball machines?

i know night bomber was pretty early on. and it was electro-mechanical, not video.

for non-commercial, didn't the guy who invented the mouse do some stuff like pong?

Advertisement

Depends on the definition of "video game". If by that you mean an interactive, challenging activity governed by rules (the game part) displayed on a screen (the video part), then I present to you the cathode ray tube amusement device (patented in 1947) in which you had to throw bombs on a target. 

The first game was Pong :)

Saw it on a video describing the history of monitors and video progresssion.

A commercial game- I can't really tell, I think it's a game by atari around 1990~, This history is blury to me xD

Edited by WoopsASword

How about bertie the brain, the first games program running on an actual computer in 1950 rather than just a hard coded analogue unit like the crt entertainment device?

I've always heard Steve Russel's Spacewar! given credit as the first video game. It wasn't the first one ever made, but it was the first one non-researchers could get their hands on.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!