A random card game ?

Started by
5 comments, last by Adisma 7 years, 10 months ago

Hello everyone,

what would you think of a random card game ? Something like a rogue-like card game..

What I have in mind is a game based on Triple Triad rules (card game from FF8) but with the game board generated randomly as well as the cards.
Of course, it would be a controlled random. The board would be 5 x 4 spots, some of them inaccessible (like a crossword grid, but with few black cases)
For the cards, the 4 values (top, bottom, left and right) could be something like the sum of 2 dices (so from 2 to 12).. Why the sum ? To have a nice average of stats (mainly between 5 and 9, rarely extreme : 2,3 and 11,12...)

Each game would then be different from the previous one, and the player has to adapt his way of playing based on his hand..
Each victory gives the winner a reward, this one wouldn't impact the further games...

Any remarks ?
Adi'

Advertisement

Well, without knowing anything about Tripe Triad, I would say that making a COMPETITIVE card game based on rogue-like mechanics and randomization would probably not be fun to play as there would be too much of a chance that the randomization gives one player a distinct advantage over the other. As soon as players realized what kind of scenario they were given, they would have a fair idea of how the match would go in the metagame and it would be over before it began. The more you move away from that, the less it carries the characteristics of a rogue-like, so all in all, my first instinct is that the two types of gameplay just aren't really designed to be synergistic.

However, creating a rogue-like card game that is single-player might prove very interesting. Card mechanics are essentially the same as "normal abilities" except that you have 1) usually more complex arsenal/loadout/ability organization and strategy, 2) don't have access to all skills at once, 3) must rely on luck/probability, 4) must adapt to an unpredictable and dynamic play capacity, all of which may be in favor of development in a rogue-like system.

The thing to be mindful of in that case would be ensuring that players feel as though the game is based on their skill and intellect rather than the game is just screwing them over with bad luck. The player should always feel like they had all the tools and knowledge they needed to evade, counter, or defeat any threat that is posed at them.

willnationsdev - Godot Engine Contributor

i've done card type games in the past. rapid prototyping is really called for when inventing a new card game. IE try it and find out.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

what would you think of a random card game ? Something like a rogue-like card game..
Any remarks ?

Have you tried prototyping it? Just make some cards and playtest the idea.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Well, without knowing anything about Tripe Triad, I would say that making a COMPETITIVE card game based on rogue-like mechanics and randomization would probably not be fun to play as there would be too much of a chance that the randomization gives one player a distinct advantage over the other. As soon as players realized what kind of scenario they were given, they would have a fair idea of how the match would go in the metagame and it would be over before it began. The more you move away from that, the less it carries the characteristics of a rogue-like, so all in all, my first instinct is that the two types of gameplay just aren't really designed to be synergistic.

However, creating a rogue-like card game that is single-player might prove very interesting. Card mechanics are essentially the same as "normal abilities" except that you have 1) usually more complex arsenal/loadout/ability organization and strategy, 2) don't have access to all skills at once, 3) must rely on luck/probability, 4) must adapt to an unpredictable and dynamic play capacity, all of which may be in favor of development in a rogue-like system.

The thing to be mindful of in that case would be ensuring that players feel as though the game is based on their skill and intellect rather than the game is just screwing them over with bad luck. The player should always feel like they had all the tools and knowledge they needed to evade, counter, or defeat any threat that is posed at them.

Triple Triad is the CCG minigame in Final Fantasy 8. It's not even remotely balanced, because it's intended for the player to win a lot against NPCs. It is also too simple to fly as a competitive card game like Magic or Yugioh or something like that. It was quite popular as a single-player minigame though, and I think it would work fine as a casual multiplayer minigame similar to poker, spades, heart, or dice; might have to remove the ability of players to lose cards so they didn't get trapped in a spiral of losing though.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Something like a rogue-like card game

I dont know about the triple triad thing, but Hand of Fate is something like a rogue-like card game. The action fighting part isn't anything special, but I love the mood of the card game. Cards are laid out face down, and you move through them like it's a map, each space revealing an encounter of some kind.

Radiant Verge is a Turn-Based Tactical RPG where your movement determines which abilities you can use.

Thanks for your answers..

For now I've just prototyped the random board generation, and cards generation. I have coherent data on cards (with an average of 23/24 for the sum of the 4 values) at almost each game. I could add a control to avoid too little/big scores ...

As this won't be a CCG, but just a CG (as cards are generated at each game), players wont lose anything (except ranking points obviously).. But each time they win, they'll win something, I dont know what yet, but something they could use in another part of game maybe.. idk..

I've also think about "black case" on the board, some could be replaced by bonus card. You capture them the same way than normal cards, but this could give you advantage.. (like stats +1, score +1... etc)

In my head, it could be a good strategic game, just like the go, or chess..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement