• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AyJaySeren

Need help on what to do with my idea

This topic is 753 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey Folks, I'm a 14/yo Developer who likes to make games for fun. I've posted this over on Indiegamer.com and I posting it here for more feed back.

I've spent a long writing a story for a game and I'm looking for the best way to present it in game.
I want to implement A major emphasis on lore and backstory as the story is long, mind-bending and in depth.
What I want to know is:
What engine to use?
2D or 3D?
And should it be an RPG game?
Thanks everyone and I look forward to presenting the game to everyone here.

Advertisement

What I want to know is:
What engine to use?
2D or 3D?

Hi, AyJay.
"What engine to use" is not a game design question - it's a technical question, and an FAQ (frequently asked question) in the For Beginners forum. Since that was your first question, I'll move this to that forum.
We also have separate forums on writing, and visual arts. You get the best answers by asking questions in the forum most closely related to the question you're asking (and compartmentalizing your questions, that is, not asking art questions in the writing forum as part of a story writing question).

What engine to use?

Depends on what kind of game you want to make it. For 2D, a game engine is a bit overkill.

2D or 3D?

It's your game, it's your call :)

In general, try to picture for yourself how things in your story would look. Are there special points in the story that require either?

If it's hard to decide, you could even first make a mockup around such points, so you can test it more carefully.

This question also links to your next question.

There are loads of different game types, so you do have a lot of choice.

With "story", I think of IF (interactive fiction), like a text adventure or a point&click adventure.

Some other question is

Do you have programming experience? If so, what language and/or what engine?

>> What engine to use?

depends on the game type.

>> 2D or 3D?

your choice.   how much do you know already?   text? 2D? 3D?    how much more do you want to have to learn?    how long do you want it all to take?

>> And should it be an RPG game?

text or graphical adventure would probably be the best choice for a story heavy game (IE where its primarily about the story).    a storyline based shooter would be the next step up, followed by a storyline based rpg, and then perhaps a storyline driven simulator / simulation, depending on game setting and game depth.   graphical adventures, shooters, RPGs, and sims could be 2D or 3D.    shooters, rpgs, and sims, (and maybe the others too!) could be real time or turn based combat.

Edited by Norman Barrows

My share; start simple and finish some fairly easy games first, to expierence under your belt.

Then go for it, make a plan (GDD) and answer your questions (like which engine) when you know what you want to achieve exactly.

AyJay, expect to write many more "stories for games" or at least partially written ideas and story outlines ... than actual games.  Partially because for most cases the amount of time people will invest to deliver a pretty interesting story outline and game idea is measured in the "hundreds of hours" while the time to build actual working and fun games is usually in the "tens of thousands of hours" ... don't get me wrong, there are some "games" that are built in only a few dozen hours ... usually by creating them with a framework that is specifically for the game type you are building ... and then only creating the custom details ... or by being expect at using powerful tools and intentionally making something very simple.

I don't mean this to discourage you ... please keep writing and creating and coming up with ideas.  And if you keep coming back to the same idea(s) ... and improving them over time ... and getting closer to finishing them ... great.  Just don't think everything you create has to be production quality, nor every good idea has to actual be made into a finished game.  Try to come up with 3 ideas, or 5 ... try to work on them all a little ... stopping when one seem either compete, or a waste of your time to continue.

And try to find other people that have fun "working" with you ... bouncing ideas around ... or artists who like drawing or modeling from some ideas you discuss, or programmers who like trying to make something work ... 

good luck.

I Agree wit the posts above. It really depends on what you want to do; the engine is a tool to create what you envision; so whether you will create 2D or 3D depends on teh typc of game; do the mechanics really benefit from 3D or would 2D be sufficient; If you are starting, a 2D (or text-only) game might work; for example, there are a few plugins available now whereby you can create relatively simple branching stories; at each stage, the player gets to make a choice and the story unfolds accordingly. This is rather straight forward and a good place to start. Then, maybe a 2D top view RPG may be interesting for you; in this case u'd still need narratives, but this time asdociated to movement and resource management. In all cases I'd say: start simple and build-up skills/complexity

"And should it be an RPG game?"

That is entirely up to you. Just remember that the RPG genre is VERY saturated (almost all game genre's are saturated these days, except for collectathon 3d platformers), however if you can make your game very unique, you may have a chance at standing out. Or if you just want to make it for fun, go for it. Rpg's are also very good practice for beginners, as there aren't as many physics related problems that can get in the way.

However, you may need to do a lot of number crunching, and you have to make sure the game stays fair and keeps a steady challenge.

Edited by Solid_Spy

IMO: You are putting the cart before the horse.

Yes, you usually write a game design and backstory before starting to implement them (altough the backstory often is written while the game is developed, or sometimes even is retconned into it after the game is already on its way to being finished. With mixed results).

But: you should learn to create games before you invest a lot of time into your ideas. No point in coming up with "that awesome idea that needs to be implemented as an open world MMORPG", when you will have zero chance of ever creating an MMO, or a very big openworld, and don't even have the slightest idea about how to implement an RPG.

Learn to create games. Don't waste too much time on "your ideas" for now, unless you just write them down for fun (and are not interested in spending your time into something more productive). Create small games, clones of pacman or whatever. See what is needed to create everything in the pipeline. See for yourself how much work everything is.

Then when you have the skills to do things yourself, a plan how you could outsource or aquire what you cannot do yourself, and above all some expierience with what is realistic and what is not, come back to your ideas, and see how you could transform you current idea (that is most probably way out of your league) into something you could realistically do yourself given some months or years of work spent on it.

Now, back to your current question: what exactly do you want to do? You just listed some open questions... I cannot tell you to go 2D or 3D without more information. Nor could I decide if an RPG is a good idea with zero information about what you want to achieve.

All I could tell is that if your interest is mainly in story and lore, and less in actual gameplay, you could go the route of an interactive novel or visual novel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_novel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_novel

Both will allow you to tell your stories, with graphics and all, without getting bogged down into a lot of programming, developing gameplay systems and all. Given that the visual novels have quite a fanbase in Japan, and also in the west, it might be a good idea to look into that.

There are specialized engines for visual novels, that will allow you to create your "game" with little programming. All you need to do is create some art, develop all the dialog options and hook it all up in the engine. Even if there is still some scripting needed, it will be rather lightweight given there is not that much gameplay going on besides choosing dialog options. Example:

https://www.renpy.org/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!