Simple RTS

Started by
10 comments, last by WoopsASword 7 years, 10 months ago

Hello. I wish to make a simple RTS game, I only know how to make models.

Not aiming for a stars, just something that would look like first Red Alert. It's been 20 years. Have tools moved forward and it is more easy to make this kind of game? Problem is - I don't know any programming language, I checked Unity3D but in order to make anything I would have to learn entire programming language, and that would probably take years for me. What are the solutions? I was looking for someone who would program it for free, but have not found anything. So if I hire someone, what do I do? Lets say I have all models for game, what is next? Just hand them to programmer and tell how game should work?
Thank you for your answers.

Advertisement

1. Problem is - I don't know any programming language, I checked Unity3D but in order to make anything I would have to learn entire programming language, and that would probably take years for me. What are the solutions?
2. I was looking for someone who would program it for free, but have not found anything.
3. So if I hire someone, what do I do? Lets say I have all models for game, what is next? Just hand them to programmer and tell how game should work?

1. Either take those years to learn how to do it, or start a career in games and build experience, contacts, and funds, or write a business plan and pitch it to an investor, or... There are a variety of solutions.
2. Of course. That was unrealistic.
3. No, you need to have the funds available, have a full GDD, and a business plan for what you'll do with the game when it's finished. Then shop it around to a number of developers until you find one who can do it for your price and on your schedule, and who has a good track record of getting games done. Simple.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

If you just want to have your models run around in an RTS game, an alternative can be to hook them into an existing game.

You can probably do this with some commercial games, but I have no knowledge about that.

There are also loads of open source games around of every type, including RTSes. OpenRA and DuneLegacy are examples I know. The list at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_video_games

contains more games (not only RTS games).

I don't know how these projects do in terms of being finished, or in terms of having an artist on-board, but that's something to find out.

Why not find an existing game project to contribute to?

Creating models isn't easy and many games need 3D models and textures.

As an art creator you often can steer the design of small indie projects just by art style alone.

Good luck!

Do you have a game design in mind or have you not thought through that far yet?

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Why not find an existing game project to contribute to?

Creating models isn't easy and many games need 3D models and textures.

As an art creator you often can steer the design of small indie projects just by art style alone.

Good luck!

Hi. I don't have much experience in modeling, also to make high poly model takes a lot of time. That is why I want to keep it simple. Some people offered me join them before, but they ether asked for AAA game level models or project died in weeks. So here I em alone. It is really hard to find someone that would take it seriously, if you know what I mean.

Do you have a game design in mind or have you not thought through that far yet?

Yes I actually have a little idea. It would be sci-fi survival strategy. In near future warp travelling technologies are discovered, however due to unknown phenomenon your ship disappears from known universe and travels into undiscovered galaxy, here you find habitable planet, however there used to be and advanced civilization in this planet but it went to apocalypse for unknown reason. You will have to fight hostile remains of this civilization, also try to survive, your personnel and soldiers are dependable on food, to get more food you need to expand, to expand you need to fight etc. I hope to base game on micromanagement, as I really enjoy that in games.

But nothing too fancy, I just want to keep it simple in order to finish it as it is my first game.

That seems like a story but do you also have things like the system (eg HP and MP...and so on) units and abilities, and balancing worked out? (Preliminary) If not you'll need a designer as well since having that stuff up front can make things alot easier in the beginning. BTW have you posted a help wanted ad on gamedev.net?

That seems like a story but do you also have things like the system (eg HP and MP...and so on) units and abilities, and balancing worked out? (Preliminary) If not you'll need a designer as well since having that stuff up front can make things alot easier in the beginning. BTW have you posted a help wanted ad on gamedev.net?

I have some ideas, but will try to execute them when I build a working prototype of game, same with balance. I will try to make this on my own, as being dependent on other people does not work out for me.

If you've decided to do this on your own, then you're gonna have to learn programming. And if you're gonna do that its usually suggested you try a few simpler games first. Pick a programming language and get started, you could get yourself in a good position in a year if you work real hard. Good Luck.

When I hear "I want to create an RTS" and "I cannot program" in the same sentence, I think of this: https://springrts.com/

This is a free engine specifically designed to support RTS games. IDK how much it will let you do "hand-off" when it comes to programming, but most game engines tailored for a specific use case are lighter programming wise when you use it for their targeted game type.

For example there might be pre written code for certain game entities (like units, or weapon effects), and you can just drag and drop them into your scene and configure them. Don't know really, never used spring. Still, check it out, see what it can do... maybe its the solution for you?

Failing that, yes, you need to learn programming. Don't worry though, while it might take you some time to learn, its nowhere as impossible to learn as some people think.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement