Meeting Other Programmers

Started by
8 comments, last by dpadam450 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey there,

I'm new to GameDev.net. I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I was curious where I can find programmer friends. Currently I'm in high school and I've learned how to code myself, but I haven't found any people that are into coding as well. I don't think there are any program 'clubs' in my region and even if there are, I find it pretty awkward to meet up in real life... Are there any good places to chat with other programmers online? Or are there other things I can do to get into contact with other (young) programmers?

Thank you for reading,

Kris

Advertisement

The world's a pretty big place ... you may want to narrow the search down to your own home town, or state/province .

Google is your friend.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well, it seems that posting on a forum worked. I am in the same situation. How long is it since you started to program?

Maybe a bit to easy, but this forum also has its own chat :)
Welcome btw.

What did you make so far and what are your plans?

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Thank you for all the replies,

I've been programming for around 4 years now. I mostly use Java for my projects. I originally got into programming through a minecraft mod, called computercraft. I was playing that on a server, but when the server closed I lost all of my programs I had written. So I thought, if I can program in computercraft, can't I program java as well? That's how I got into programming. I learned everything myself through tutorials. I now can program in Java, PHP (+html/css of course), Javascript and a little bit of C#. In those 4 years, I've made a lot of stuff in that time, but I didn't properly finish most projects. Here are some of my better projects:

Shadow Pixel: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kris.gamepanel

This is a project I worked on for about a year. I don't remember how I exactly started this, but I remember using a good tutorial to make the engine. The app was released in October 2014. I've worked on it a lot after that as well, but when I found out that my engine used a really slow render method, I kinda stopped. At the time the only other method I found online was OpenGL, but back then I wasn't experienced enough to figure out how to actually use OpenGL.

http://bluedoves.net and plugins for the minecraft server

Orginally, I was playing with friends on that server for fun. But after the server closed after a fight between the owners, I really missed it. I talked to one of the owners and asked if she could start it up again and offered help. And that's how I got admin on the server and I started writing plugins for it. After having issues with enjin, I thought I might was able to create a site for the server myself, so I got into that as well.

SepticRush

Screenshots:

I started on this project summer 2015, I wanted to make a PC game again and also got into using OpenGl. I think with this game, I've worked more on the engine than actual game play, since I found it really hard to make proper animations for it and also had issues making up good gameplay. SepticRush includes:

• Multiplayer
  • 2d Lighting
  • A completely custom written engine

I really want to work on this project more, but I don't think I can do it all alone...

And here's my most recent project I'm working on now:

MicroEvolution (Temp name)

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/dIr6r

MicroEvolution is a game inspired by Agar.io and the Spore Cell Stage. Back when I was younger and got to play spore, I absolutely loved the cell stage. I found it quite sad that it was only so short and that there were few parts. So recently I though, what if I make an online multiplayer game, with spore game mechanics. I've been working on it for 3-4 weeks now and I'm making good progress. Currently, I only have screenshots of the cell editor, since I'm working on the game itself now.

That's my story, so what's yours?

Thank you for reading :)

PS: No advertising intended.

Cool! Seems like I am a noob compared to you.
I am programing for a year now, currently using javascript and canvas to do my projects but I plan on learning C or C++ . I am studying in a technical high school on informatics. There I started learning about programming as we have a logic class using VisualG, a programming language used for teaching. I started to do some extra stuff on this programming language like a note book and a clock. But soon I realized it was too simple for my ambitions, I started searching for other programming languages. I chose javascript as it was great for a beginner like me.
Since I learned what I needed in javascript I am focusing on making games. I only made a few games for learning purposes and now I am learning some important game mechanics to do my first decent game.
I am also learning how to do pixel art and trying to play a keyboard, in the future I will be a all in one game developer :D
I think only one of my projects is worth talking about, the others are just simple games...
Collision creator
It auto detects collision on any inserted image that has alfa properties, with this I can just draw my sprites and insert them in the game. No need to code the collisions. It's also very light. I managed to make it work every frame with no problems.
Well, my small game development knowledge is summed up here, I hope my english is readable. And one question: Where do you guys live? I live in Brazil and I expect to not be the only one with not so good english, google translator shall guide our talk xD

I live in Holland/The Netherlands. Your english is very well readable :)

I don't know if you want, but I'm planning on participating in the Week Of Awesome game jam (http://www.gamedev.net/topic/678978-the-week-of-awesome-iv-fourth-annual-unofficial-gamedevnet-competition-administration-thread/)

Would you maybe like to participate with me?

Thank you :)

About the competition: It would be a awesome learning experience, but first I think we should know each other better. Do you have any other form of communication? One answer a day is kinda boring, it's like we are exchanging letters xD

I am having a bit of trouble to get notified by this forum on my phone, if you have Facebook, WhatsApp, skype or even email it would be much better for me to respond quickly.

I've sent you a PM

You don't really need to physically meet other programmers. This is a good community. There is a projects classified page here as well as places like indiedb/moddb if you want to join a project.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement