Scan Codes wont' work

Started by
2 comments, last by Rogue Dragon 22 years, 5 months ago
I''m tryin to get the arrow keys to work for my RPG, and when i use the scan codes for them, it ends up using the I,L,J and M keys instead. any help on this one?
Advertisement
Hmm, seems like you''ve got the wrong scan codes. Care to post the values you used?

quote:From www.asciitable.com; IBM Scan Codes

Char     Decimal   HexadecimalUpArrw   (00,72)   (0x00,0x48)LftArrw  (00,75)   (0x00,0x4b)RtArrw   (00,77)   (0x00,0x4d)DwnArrw  (00,80)   (0x00,0x50) 

Those appear to be high_word, low_word.
i''m trying to use the scan codes like this:

#define RtArrw 0x4d
#define LfArrw 0x4b
#define UpArrw 0x48
#define DnArrw 0x50

if (kbhit() == RtArrw)
...etc.

i''m assuming there is another way to use hex codes, but dont know too much about C++ yet.
quote:Original post by Rogue Dragon
if (kbhit() == RtArrw)

It would behove you to peruse the documentation pertaining to kbhit(). It is specified as returning a non-zero value if the keyboard has been hit, and explicitly suggests the use of getch() or getche() to acquire the actual key:
...if(kbhit()){  switch(getch())  // get character without echoing to console  {  case UpArrw:    // do up arrow stuff    break;  case RtArrw:    // do right arrow stuff    break;  case DnArrw:    // ...and so on  default:    // stuff to do if/when key hit is none of the arrow keys    break;  }}... 

quote:i''m assuming there is another way to use hex codes, but dont know too much about C++ yet.

Has nothing to do with C++ per se. kbhit() is a standard C library function for the DOS/Windows platform.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement