• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ddengster

Assimp loading a skinned model and animation-only fbx file seperately, then merging them

This topic is 825 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a skinned model-only fbx file, and an accompanying animation-only fbx file. A common use for seperating the skinned mesh and animation is that the animation can be used with other similar skinned models. I'm trying to use ASSIMP to load them in such a way that both assets can be merged and export to my custom format, but I find that ASSIMP adds a couple of PreTranslations/PreRotation nodes, and I'm wondering how this would affect the merging algorithm. Has anyone done this before and found an import flag that works or doesnt work? Also, what do you do with the pretranslations/prerotation nodes?

PS. About my merging algorithm

Since my animation-only fbx is a subset of the skinned models nodes, I assume that I can just do some kind of overriding of animation/parent data from the animation-only fbx to the skinned model fbx, then export the combined stuff to my custom format

Edit: Also I found some pretrans/rot nodes in my animation that isn't in my skinned model. how do I deal with them?

Edited by ddengster

Advertisement

>>  A common use for seperating the skinned mesh and animation is that the animation can be used with other similar skinned models.

in skeletal animation, this might be limited to skinned meshes that share the same skeleton. i'd had issues sharing animations between scaled versions of the same skeleton.

>>  but I find that ASSIMP adds a couple of PreTranslations/PreRotation nodes, and I'm wondering how this would affect the merging algorithm.

if you can't find out any info on it, try it both ways, ignore them, and apply them, and see which one works. its should just be a few extra mat muls.

>>  Also I found some pretrans/rot nodes in my animation that isn't in my skinned model. how do I deal with them?

same idea.  if you can't find out any info on it, try it both ways, ignore them, and apply them, and see which one works. its should just be a few extra mat muls.

eventually you'll figure out what those transforms are. often times they are the global transforms for the model object in the modeling software. needless to say, if any are identity, they can safely be ignored.

i don't use asimp, but many folks here do, maybe some can give you some details about using that particular library. you checked the ASIMP docs and website already, right?

yup. the generated nodes are pivots that are not representable directly in assimp. Thanks for the help, I'm just looking for information on how people usually handle this case. I mean, merging animations and skinned models through assimp shouldn't be that rare a task right?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!