• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dpadam450

Particle System Tools to Share

This topic is 836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone have or know of some fairly simple particle system tools? I have a really old junky one I wrote, but it's about time I get some much better particle effects in my game.  I feel like this has been done many times though. I noticed there is a new particle company called popcornFX, but it's too expensive for what I would pay.

Advertisement

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sparkengine/

It's old, but it's a starting point I guess. You can also study unreal's Particle system. It does not appear too difficult to understand. They are using a method of composition, where the particle object contains all the particle instance data. And then the composite items are mathematical manipulators that are processed like an ECS.

Edited by Tangletail

you might consider simply rolling your own. all they are is basically a list of particles with update and render methods. update will have some movement behavior coded into it based on the particle type, and render is just drawing yet another game object. things like star fields will have re-spawn at the edge of the field when they pass outside the field as part of update. things like smoke emitters will have a timestamp or age for each particle saying when it should be removed. age can also be used to control scale and translucency and such. if the formulas for a particular update behavior - such as rectilinear kinematics for flying debris from explosions - are unfamiliar to you, simply post here on Gamedev and someone can probably point you in the right direction. note that if you decide to write your own particle update methods, you will be using some math and physics. if this does not appeal to you, farm it out and use a 3rd party library.

Edited by Norman Barrows

This is old but good paper, also check out the GDC talks about Infamous II and the free PopcornFX editor (similar):

It's not so much how to do it but having tools for it. There are many features like blending, animation, pre-made explosions, forces, a nice editor etc that I find appealing enough to pay for something, but I don't want to spend $1,000 on popcorn FX.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!