• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
spowers

OpenGL Will 2 graphics context with different FOV's align

This topic is 830 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The application is using openGL but this is more of a general question.

Here is the setup: 

2 applications with exactly the same scene data / model / view matrix etc.

"Left" Application has FOV: 20 Horiz 25 Vert (arbitrary numbers) Viewport to match aspect ratio

"Right" Application has FOV: 40 Horiz 25 Vert with Viewport to match aspect ratio

My question is this....

If I but up the left and right windows so that their edges are adjacent should I see a continuous image without any segmentation along the seam where they meet?

I've already confirmed that this works when both left and right have the same FOV but I'm seeing a definite seam when the right application has the larger horizontal FOV. It seems that the edge is off vertically instead of horizontally. I've attached an image to demonstrate.

Advertisement

I don't see any reason it shouldn't line up, but I could see that getting the frustrum / view transform exactly right could be tricky. Check your math, and check your assumptions. That's probably where the problems lay.

I'm using OSG for all the math so I assume its doing it correctly. The frustum values are definitely what they should be but I'll check the view matrix to make sure they line up exactly. They should since this works completely if all I do is make both left and right share the same FOV values. 

Thanks for confirming that this should work. I needed a bit of a sanity check. I'll report back with more information.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!