Oculus DK2 ghosting/low-persistence issue

Started by
0 comments, last by Nypyren 7 years, 10 months ago

Apologies for something of a cross-post with the Oculus forums, but they've yielded no fruit and are a bit of a madhouse of poor signal-to-noise ratio. I'm hoping that perhaps some devs here may have come across this issue and found a solution. I am a developer (engineer) actively working on a VR-enabled project, so I'm willing and capable of getting down-and-dirty (technically) to try and resolve the problem.

The short story is that I was running my DK2 with the release software (1.3.0) with no issues for a good week or so (right at the time of the official, consumer release). Then, I made the mistake of having Blender open at the same time as I was starting a VR app, which caused my display driver to crash (and system to eventually reboot) with an OpenGL error. After the restart, my DK2 display behaved very much like the low-persistence on the display had somehow gotten toggled off or corrupted; there is pronounced dark-area-ghosting-into-light-area display issues with head movement. It is most obvious and noticeable in the high-contrast parts of a view, but generally the displayed image is less sharp that it was, and I'm pretty sure this ghosting is the root cause. This is a global issue for me, not restricted to my project or any one particular application. It's not a framerate/judder issue, this happens at all times, including when hitting a steady, solid 75Hz with smooth tracking. This issue has persisted through all the subsequent runtime/SDK updates.

I've reinstalled the runtime and my graphics driver, reverted to old runtime and graphics drivers to try setting/resetting the old low-persistence cap, but nothing has resolved the issue. I was only just recently able to take my DK2 to another machine and test it there, and it exhibited the same issue. So, obviously, there is a problem with the HMD itself and not some kind of system or software issue.

Has anyone else come across this kind of issue? I'm sort of long-shot-hoping there may be a way to perhaps reset the firmware or otherwise do some lower-level diagnostics to sort it out.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or help.

Advertisement
Sounds like something that happened to one of my Logitech mice; its onboard firmware got corrupted so that its "onboard" profile wouldn't send clicks. I had to plug in another mouse to access the configuration software. The physical buttons were fine, and once the config software told the mouse to run in "game detection" mode, it could click fine.

I ended up giving up and getting a new mouse, but obviously DK2s are a bit more expensive than that.

I would try re-flashing its firmware and see if there's some way to factory reset it.

If not then it's likely your device is permanently damaged...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement