• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nobx101

Unity Procedural Generation of terrain, roads, cities, houses etc (need tips!)

This topic is 903 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking for some tips on how I should get started on making a generator code, which generates the following : 

• Terrain
  • Trees, bushes and grass, as well as maybe phone lines along roads.
  • Cities
  • Roads inside cities, and roads leading from one city to another, as well as just roads that leads to forests.
  • Forests
  • Random props depending on what it's currently generating (city = trash bins, bus-stop-station-thingys, forest = cut down trees, etc..)

The game is in 2D.

I've been googling for a while but I'm still not sure where to get started.

So far I figured out that I need to do each of these tasks in their own "steps".

(Example : first generate terrain tiles, and then cities with roads, and then forests and so on...)

Here's a drawing of (kinda) how I would like the city to look like (bit of course with tiles etc when I actually make it) : 

9128c1349271243cefb4d69e90ff5f4c.png

I ran into the "Voronio DIagram" which might work for city and the roads inside the city, but I have no idea how I would go about programming it.

I'm using Unity when making this project, and I prefer C# over JavaScript.

So, any tips to reaching this goal would be appreciated.

(Also, might be worth noting that I'm entirely new to procedural generation, so I might seem like a really, really stupid person when I ask questions that might be obvious to you guys :P )

This might be a really difficult thing to do as well, I have no idea. But I do think I'll learn quite a few things from at least trying. :D

Advertisement
This generally falls into the category of procedural generation. Procedural terrain generation is a well-studied topic and there should be plenty of resources available on the web.

This generally falls into the category of procedural generation. Procedural terrain generation is a well-studied topic and there should be plenty of resources available on the web.

Oh, I see. That will probably help me get some better results when googling. :>

Edit : for some reason I cannot edit my post when using my macbook which is the only thing I have access to atm, will try to edit and change to procedural instead of random asap though.

Edited by BiiXteR

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!