• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MaxRookford

How to make low-quality speech like in SEGA games?

This topic is 822 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys! I need to make effects sound low quality like, you know, human speech in SEGA games) How can I do this in Sound Forge or Fruity Loops?

For example words "Presented by Data East":

I mean, I have some normal quality soundeffects and want them to sound SEGA-like.

P.S.: sorry for my pigeon english  :unsure: 

Advertisement

The sampling and bit rates for audio clips in the 16-bit era had to be VERY small due to low memory footprints. So you can record "normal" audio and then export out the audio in a low spec setting, it should achieve the low-fi sound you're after.

Aside from that, if you wanted to keep the file specs higher, then you can work with EQ to lower fidelity and then a bit crusher distortion type of plugin to add in some of that crunchiness. I would advice doing an either/or approach here. Doing both at the same time would make it sound even worse than 16-bit era audio clips. These are just two quick ideas - there are probably other approaches that would work as well.

Edited by nsmadsen

I've noticed that bitcrushers tend to add some annoying high overtones to the sound which you have to cut out with EQ. I've worked both ways and also both at the same time, you can get to the results with any method.

Maybe first you could just try out some different renderer options as nsmadsen mentioned as it's the easiest way and that's close to how it was originally done.

Hey! I've got what I need! Thanks, guys! I've tried to save sound in low quality but I also needed that crunchy sounds and overtones and bit crusher plugins made it)

Listen:

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!