How to make low-quality speech like in SEGA games?

Started by
4 comments, last by nsmadsen 7 years, 9 months ago

Hey guys! I need to make effects sound low quality like, you know, human speech in SEGA games) How can I do this in Sound Forge or Fruity Loops?

For example words "Presented by Data East":

I mean, I have some normal quality soundeffects and want them to sound SEGA-like.

P.S.: sorry for my pigeon english :unsure:

Advertisement

The sampling and bit rates for audio clips in the 16-bit era had to be VERY small due to low memory footprints. So you can record "normal" audio and then export out the audio in a low spec setting, it should achieve the low-fi sound you're after.

Aside from that, if you wanted to keep the file specs higher, then you can work with EQ to lower fidelity and then a bit crusher distortion type of plugin to add in some of that crunchiness. I would advice doing an either/or approach here. Doing both at the same time would make it sound even worse than 16-bit era audio clips. These are just two quick ideas - there are probably other approaches that would work as well.

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I've noticed that bitcrushers tend to add some annoying high overtones to the sound which you have to cut out with EQ. I've worked both ways and also both at the same time, you can get to the results with any method.

Maybe first you could just try out some different renderer options as nsmadsen mentioned as it's the easiest way and that's close to how it was originally done.

Hey! I've got what I need! Thanks, guys! I've tried to save sound in low quality but I also needed that crunchy sounds and overtones and bit crusher plugins made it)

Listen:

Great! :)

You could cut the highest overtones just a bit to make it nicer to ear.

Glad it worked out! :)

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement