Including from the Standard C++ Library

Started by
5 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 7 years, 10 months ago

Hey guys,

When we include libraries from the standard library (like cmath or cstring), what are we actually including? I'm assuming they aren't header files since there is no ".h" extension. Also, how can we just include files and be able to access functions from that library? Are the function definitions inside the included file? I thought it was good practice to separate declaration from definition?

Advertisement

This may be implementation-dependent, but in visual studio you can actually open those header files and look at them. <cmath>, for example, maps to a file literally called cmath (with no file extension) in your VC/includes directory, which contains a ton of inline definitions. Another implementation may have a bunch of prototypes without definitions, and just handle things at link time like you would with the rest of your program.

Broadly speaking, yes, it's good practice to have declarations in headers and definitions in .c files. However, there are a bunch of reasons you may not want to do that, such as inlining and template code, or for portability a la boost.

Templates are a major reason. As pretty much all compilers can't separate template declaration from definition all code is inside the header file.

All these cmath, string, etc. are still regular headers, just without extension. At least VS automatically adds references to the C++ runtime libs, so all you need to do is to include the headers. The libs are imported "under the hood".

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

All these cmath, string, etc. are still regular headers, just without extension. At least VS automatically adds references to the C++ runtime libs, so all you need to do is to include the headers. The libs are imported "under the hood".

Well, the standard allows for standard library headers to be 'something special' instead of regular text files but I'm not aware of any implementation which really does it.

That said, the file extension of headers is irrelevant. .h, .hpp or .hh are commonly used. .inl is sometimes used to name files which contain inline definitions which are often included from their parent header. Nothing stops you from including .foo or .bar files as headers. C++ does not care, although people who read you code might have objections.

Not using an extension for your headers is another way to go but since all C++ standard library headers are usually extensionless I would argue that is bad style.

Hey guys,

When we include libraries from the standard library (like cmath or cstring), what are we actually including? I'm assuming they aren't header files since there is no ".h" extension. Also, how can we just include files and be able to access functions from that library? Are the function definitions inside the included file? I thought it was good practice to separate declaration from definition?

You literally include the content of the file at the place of the #include. Ie, you can copy/paste the file at the same spot into your file, to get the same effect.

It's safe to assume that the standard library is well designed, and that people have considered what to include and what not. In general, indeed, it contains declarations. The actual code of those definitions is in a library that gets automatically linked to your program, that's why you never see the implementation of eg printf, or sin.

In C, things are less automatic, and you do need to manually add the math library if you use it:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
    printf("%f\n", sin(atoi(argv[1])));
    return 0;
}

A complicated sin argument to avoid the optimizer eliminating the sin() call.

Compiling this gives

$  gcc x.c  
/tmp/ccC5RsyE.o: In function `main':
x.c:(.text+0x2b): undefined reference to `sin'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

$  gcc x.c -lm

The linker complains of a missing definition of sin. You have to say, "oh and link with the libm library" by adding "-lm".

The standard libraries tend to be very efficient, however you need to be extremely careful with them if you include the standard c libraries, it could pollute your namespace. I've ran into this issue plenty times before, where the library would conflict in other libraries.

When we include libraries from the standard library (like cmath or cstring), what are we actually including?

First, understand that using different brackets in #include "header" and #include <header> only affects the order that the compiler looks through different directories when searching for the files.
Second, understand that you can use different file extensions (in your own headers) and everything will still work fine (as long as the file actually exists with that extension): myHeader, myHeader.h, myHeader.hpp, myHeader.pch, myHeader.meow, whatever - they are just filenames. Occasionally I've even had to #include a .cpp file from one .cpp to another. They're just text files.

Finally, what *actually* happens vary from compiler to compiler, because C++ only enforces behavior not implementation details. Also, the standard library is (mostly) separate from the compiler, even though it is shipped with compilers. For example, Visual Studio and GCC use *different* standard library implementations even though they behave the same and have the same interface. (GCC defaults to using it's own opensource libstdc++ library, Clang defaults to usibng its own opensource libc++ library, and Visual Studio defaults to using a custom-modified version of the third-party proprietary Dinkumware one. There are also other implementations of the standard library available).

The header files actually exist (usually), and (on Windows) they are usually located where you installed your compiler, unless you manually installed the libraries somewhere else.

In my QtCreator install of MinGW, on Win10, I find <cmath> located in:
C:\Qt\Qt5.5.0\Tools\mingw492_32\i686-w64-mingw32\include\c++

At that location, I find a text file named 'cmath' with no extension (I also find 'cstring' and 'iostream' and 'vector' and so on - text files without filename extensions).
It #includes "math.h", undefines some math.h defines (like cos(), tan(), etc...), reimplements them as real functions (instead of macroes), and puts them inside of the std namespace.

Depending on the compiler and header, the compiler can also just pretend behind the scenes that the header file really exists, but really do something else instead as long as the behavior is the same. For example, why recompile the standard library headers over and over again? Maybe the compiler just holds them pre-compiled, if it can detect that you aren't doing something that'd require it to recompile the header (like #defining certain macroes).

I'm assuming they aren't header files since there is no ".h" extension. Also, how can we just include files and be able to access functions from that library? Are the function definitions inside the included file? I thought it was good practice to separate declaration from definition?

First, a huge amount of the standard library classes and functions are templates. Templates in C++ have to be in headers, declaration-and-definition together. It's an unfortunate consequence of how templates work. So for those classes, whether standard library or 3rd party library or your own code, the header is plenty enough, no .cpp needed.

Second, for the functions that aren't templated, and have concrete definitions, they basically fall into several categories: If they are inline, or if the compiler wants to inline them for performance reasons, the compiler will generate the code inside your project's .exe - often those kinds of functions are only a few lines of code, so the performance gains outweigh the minor costs. This is common with compiler intrinsic functions.

For other functions, they can be handled just like regular static libraries (compiled into your code, but not inline), or dynamic libraries.

If they are linked to as dynamic libraries, then you have to make sure that .DLL actually is available for your project to find, when you run your executable. For Microsoft, the standard library DLLs are just shipped with Windows as part of the OS or as part of the Visual Studio runtimes.

For me, using GCC/MinGW, I have to include the standard library DLLs with my .exe. GCC's is named libstdc++-6.dll, which in-turn calls functions from some of Microsoft's libraries, since it has to function on Windows and some code has to run through the OS (like loading files).

You can also tell your compiler to statically include the standard library inside your .exe, but that isn't without tradeoffs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement