Free or low-cost resources that have helped you

Started by
14 comments, last by 215648 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm just pooling together some resources for game developers, so I'd love to hear what has helped you personally! I'm new here, so sorry if this is in the wrong place. Anything from game assets, to marketing/social media tools, to game engines - or anything else - is welcome :)

Advertisement

Google

A lot of stuff ... I don't have the energy to dump links at the moment, maybe later this week or next.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I only use Free software.

Well, OK, that's a slight lie because some of the firmware and codecs in my systems are non-free, but between all my tools being Free and gratis and all of the free resources in the internet, you never actually have to pay for something to develop games.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

GIMP and Wings3D were used by me to learn modding games. They are no cost and modding is no cost. It's a great way to learn about game design and game structure. Blender came later and helped me to learn about things like shaders, rigging, animation, etc. Taking a basic game that you made and modding or letting others mod it will teach you a lot about asset optimization, workflow, and much more.

Later I used community or student versions of Maya, 3D Max, and Visual Studio. Don't spend too much time in one area, but broaden your knowledge base. You must work hard to keep progress going.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

University

DuckDNS - free dynamic domains (although I did make a donation)

Turbosquid - Free 3d models

https://byet.host/free-hosting - for free hosting of small php sites (leaderboards)

Openshift - free hosting for more complex web-apps. (can run many languages and databases) [ uses more mainstream tech then google-app-engine]

IDEs - Webstorm/Pycharm/Netbeans/Visual-Studio.

Source control - ToroiseGIT/TortoiseSVN (Netbeans for source-control on linux)

GIMP - For phpotoshoping

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

(( internet is being bad - I'll add links and other stuff later if I remember ))

Game Engines

• Unity
  • Unreal
  • Alice 3D
  • Panda 3D
  • ZZT ( technically an engine / game maker )
  • Xtremeworlds ( technically an engine / mmo maker )
  • Stencyl

Libraries

• Pygame
  • LWJGL

Other Junk

• Notepad ++
  • Sketchup
  • Wood Workshop
  • Gentex
  • Audacity
  • WAMP

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Unreal Engine 4 for the engine, Unreal Marketplace for the assets and Mixamo for the characters (I had to really heavily tweak them to get to my vision though :().

If you need a good resources for game development. Maybe you can try to view this list on my site. https://mobilegamegraphics.com/tools/ I compiled all the list of sites that might be a need for game developments.

Game Graphics | Pixel Art | Game Backgrounds | Tools | Tutorials

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement