• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Webbie27

Best 2D Collision method?

This topic is 751 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i'm working on a 2D project. Currently I have a terrain and a falling man. Both these are 2D images drawn to the screen. I'm looking for a way to detect collision so that when my man touches the edge of the terrain, he starts walking along it. However I don't want to hard code in the terrains dimensions as I want it to be dynamic so with other levels if the terrain is in a different position he still behaves the same.

Advertisement
You could give all game objects a bounding box, in 2d that would be just a rectangle. Then you compare rectangles against each other, to see if they collide. Simple and straight forward. The only tricky part would be for objects that don't fit well within the box. In that case you could use a circle.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!