• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kitty_Warlord

Top Down 2D Camera FoV and Player Pixel size?

This topic is 748 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I was wondering what is the standard FoV for Top down shooters. My game is a 2D top down shooter without perspective. Also what is the player size in general, I am trying to have good stable performance but still nice images. Should I go for 128x128 or something more bigger like 320x320 or relatively small like 64x64.

Thank you so much for your input. Engine is Unity 5.

Advertisement

My game is a 2D top down shooter without perspective. 

If you have no perspective then you have no FOV (I am assuming you mean field of view). You should be using an orthogonal projection. Is this correct or does that not meet with your requirements? Do you have some faux perspective where things look 3D but are just flat sprites?

Player size is quite tricky and it depends on your target platform. More so if performance is a consideration, is this a mobile game? I don't know what the 'done' thing is but you need to consider that screen sizes and pixel densities vary so much that just using pixel size for your player is probably a bad idea. Ideally you don't want your player image to get stretched so it needs to be high enough resolution that this doesn't happen. There is nothing to stop you from using multiple images and choosing the most appropriate one at runtime that way you get the detailed images where it matters but lower ones when it does not.

What are you targeting? That'll help people give you more appropriate answers. 

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!