• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Lighting Prepass and PBR?

This topic is 651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know that PBR can work very well with forward rendering and regular Deferred Shading. But what about Light Prepass?

I've been bouncing around on the idea of using Inferred lighting, which does transparencies decently without needing over complicate things, with some minor errors. But at the same time, I'm not entirely sure how it would work.

PBR's common equations seem to require that lighting be processed after the fact. As the math deals with the addition of micro-facets.

Advertisement

The problem you will run into is that LPP renderers don't have access to the material's f0/specular color during the lighting phase. Quality PBR generally requires this information be available in order to perform per-light fresnel calculations. Now you could go the cheap route by treating the f0 like a color tint and then multiplying it with the final accumulated specular lighting, but it won't look as good.

That's my two cents. 

EDIT: As an example, Satellite Reign used such a system, and only had true fresnel on their ambient specular. 

I actually tried that out to see how it would work. It didn't work out very well, but I haven't thought about excluding the fresnel. It might have a very interesting look for what I'm going for.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement