• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

loading geometry from a text file

This topic is 5901 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to load my geometry from a .rtg ascii file exported from MAYA. Does anyone know of a reliable (ie flexible) method of doing this? I tried doing it with fgets and sscanf but the whitespaces in the exported file seem a bit random and sscanf throws a spac at this. The data''s basically in the form: OBJECT_START objectname v8 t14 n4 p12 //number of verts, uvs etc... VERTEX 0.0 1.0 0.0 ... ... TEXCOORD 0.0 1.0 ... ... NORMAL 0.0 1.0 0.0 ... ... POLYGON v 0 1 2 t 0 1 2 n 0 ... ... I was probably gonna skip loading the normals and just calculate them on the fly (not that that matters) Any ideas anyone? OnDeZ

Advertisement
I wouldn''t have thought that the whitespace is random - there will be a method to the madness

Built-in functions like sscanf are general functions and not necessarily appropriate for every task. I would suggest writing your own function for importing data from .rtg files. It''ll involve some lovely pointer arithmetic but it''s all good practice.

Try ifstream. The >> operator ignores whitespace, and you can also ignore it with ifstream::ignore or stop reading at whitespace with ifstream::getline.

• Advertisement