• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SilviuShader

DX12 [UWP] DirectX 12 Command List Close FAIL

This topic is 892 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I'm working on a DirectX 12 based mini game engine for Windows 10 (UWP). In the past I've used OpenGL and OpenGL ES, but DirectX 12 is pretty new for me. I've followed the DX 12 tutorials from http://www.rastertek.com/ to initialize DirectX. The problem was that the tutorial describes how to make the swap chain use just 2 back buffers, so I've tried to make it use n back buffers. After I did that, a problem appeared: a CommandList call fails at the second frame (GraphicsGlobals::frameIndex = 1), causing the app to freeze.

void Project_SpaceTime::Graphics::BeginDraw()
{
	if (GraphicsGlobals::loadTasks == 0)
	{
		HRESULT result;
		D3D12_CPU_DESCRIPTOR_HANDLE renderTargetViewHandle;
		unsigned int renderTargetViewDescriptorSize;

// Reset (re-use) the memory associated command allocator.
		result = GraphicsGlobals::commandAllocator[GraphicsGlobals::frameIndex]->Reset();
		if (FAILED(result))
		{
			return;
		}
		// Reset the command list, use empty pipeline state for now since there are no shaders and we are just clearing the screen.
		result = GraphicsGlobals::commandList->Reset(GraphicsGlobals::commandAllocator[GraphicsGlobals::frameIndex], NULL);
		if (FAILED(result))
		{
			return;
		}

// Get the render target view handle for the current back buffer.
		renderTargetViewHandle = GraphicsGlobals::renderTargetViewHeap->GetCPUDescriptorHandleForHeapStart();
		renderTargetViewDescriptorSize = GraphicsGlobals::device->GetDescriptorHandleIncrementSize(D3D12_DESCRIPTOR_HEAP_TYPE_RTV);

// get a handle to the depth/stencil buffer
		CD3DX12_CPU_DESCRIPTOR_HANDLE rtvHandle(GraphicsGlobals::renderTargetViewHeap->GetCPUDescriptorHandleForHeapStart(), GraphicsGlobals::frameIndex, renderTargetViewDescriptorSize);
		CD3DX12_CPU_DESCRIPTOR_HANDLE dsvHandle(GraphicsGlobals::dsDescriptorHeap->GetCPUDescriptorHandleForHeapStart());

GraphicsGlobals::commandList->RSSetViewports(1, &GraphicsGlobals::viewport); // set the viewports
		GraphicsGlobals::commandList->RSSetScissorRects(1, &GraphicsGlobals::scissorRect); // set the scissor rects

CD3DX12_RESOURCE_BARRIER renderTargetResourceBarrier =
			CD3DX12_RESOURCE_BARRIER::Transition(GraphicsGlobals::renderTargets[GraphicsGlobals::frameIndex], D3D12_RESOURCE_STATE_PRESENT, D3D12_RESOURCE_STATE_RENDER_TARGET);
		GraphicsGlobals::commandList->ResourceBarrier(1, &renderTargetResourceBarrier);

// Set the back buffer as the render target.
		GraphicsGlobals::commandList->OMSetRenderTargets(1, &rtvHandle, FALSE, &dsvHandle);

GraphicsGlobals::commandList->ClearDepthStencilView(GraphicsGlobals::dsDescriptorHeap->GetCPUDescriptorHandleForHeapStart(), D3D12_CLEAR_FLAG_DEPTH, 1.0f, 0, 0, nullptr);
		GraphicsGlobals::drawStarted = true;

return;
	}
}

void Project_SpaceTime::Graphics::ClearColor(float r, float g, float b, float a)
{
	if (GraphicsGlobals::loadTasks == 0 && GraphicsGlobals::drawStarted)
	{
		D3D12_CPU_DESCRIPTOR_HANDLE renderTargetViewHandle;
		unsigned int renderTargetViewDescriptorSize;
		float color[4];

// Get the render target view handle for the current back buffer.
		renderTargetViewHandle = GraphicsGlobals::renderTargetViewHeap->GetCPUDescriptorHandleForHeapStart();
		renderTargetViewDescriptorSize = GraphicsGlobals::device->GetDescriptorHandleIncrementSize(D3D12_DESCRIPTOR_HEAP_TYPE_RTV);

// Then set the color to clear the window to.
		color[0] = r;
		color[1] = g;
		color[2] = b;
		color[3] = a;

GraphicsGlobals::commandList->ClearRenderTargetView(renderTargetViewHandle, color, 0, NULL);

return;
	}
}

void Present();

void Project_SpaceTime::Graphics::EndDraw()
{
	if (GraphicsGlobals::drawStarted)
	{
		HRESULT result;

GraphicsGlobals::commandList->ResourceBarrier(1, &CD3DX12_RESOURCE_BARRIER::Transition(GraphicsGlobals::renderTargets[GraphicsGlobals::frameIndex], D3D12_RESOURCE_STATE_RENDER_TARGET, D3D12_RESOURCE_STATE_PRESENT));

result = GraphicsGlobals::commandList->Close();
		if (FAILED(result))
		{
			GraphicsGlobals::drawStarted = false;
			return;
		}

ID3D12CommandList* ppCommandLists[1] = { GraphicsGlobals::commandList };

GraphicsGlobals::commandQueue->ExecuteCommandLists(1, ppCommandLists);

Present();

GraphicsGlobals::drawStarted = false;
		return;
	}
}

void MoveToNextFrame();

void Present()
{
	HRESULT result;

result = GraphicsGlobals::swapChain->Present(1, 0);
	if (FAILED(result))
	{
		return;
	}

MoveToNextFrame();
}

void MoveToNextFrame()
{
	// Schedule a Signal command in the queue.
	const UINT64 currentFenceValue = GraphicsGlobals::fenceValue[GraphicsGlobals::frameIndex];
	DX::ThrowIfFailed(GraphicsGlobals::commandQueue->Signal(GraphicsGlobals::fence, currentFenceValue));

// Advance the frame index.
	GraphicsGlobals::frameIndex = GraphicsGlobals::swapChain->GetCurrentBackBufferIndex();

// Check to see if the next frame is ready to start.
	if (GraphicsGlobals::fence->GetCompletedValue() < GraphicsGlobals::fenceValue[GraphicsGlobals::frameIndex])
	{
		DX::ThrowIfFailed(GraphicsGlobals::fence->SetEventOnCompletion(GraphicsGlobals::fenceValue[GraphicsGlobals::frameIndex], GraphicsGlobals::fenceEvent));
		WaitForSingleObjectEx(GraphicsGlobals::fenceEvent, INFINITE, FALSE);
	}

// Set the fence value for the next frame.
	GraphicsGlobals::fenceValue[GraphicsGlobals::frameIndex] = currentFenceValue + 1;
}

The call "GraphicsGlobals::commandList->Close();" in the "EndDraw" function fails and I couldn't figure out what the problem might be. If I comment that line, it fails at "GraphicsGlobals::swapChain->Present(1, 0);".

void FirstLoad()
{
	firstLoaded = true;
	Graphics::Init(); // This method is too long to be posted here...
}
virtual void Run()
{
	CoreWindow^ window = CoreWindow::GetForCurrentThread();

while (!windowClosed)
	{
		window->Dispatcher->ProcessEvents(CoreProcessEventsOption::ProcessAllIfPresent);
		if (!firstLoaded)
		{
			FirstLoad();
		}

Graphics::BeginDraw();
		Graphics::ClearColor(0.5f,0.5f,0.5f,1.0f);
		Graphics::EndDraw();
		}
	}
}

This is the way I call those functions.

Edited by SilviuShader

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!