RPG Style Game. Every Position Needed!

Started by
21 comments, last by AverageGuyBigDreams 7 years, 8 months ago

If you're doing it in the Unity engine, I can provide Level Design as I am a professional at that work.

~~~

Goodridge Creations

OFFICIAL COMPANY PROFILE

Advertisement

You should probably mention your expierience level in game development, and prior work (if there is any) so people interested in joining up get the right picture.

Yes, that means less people might be interested in joining if you have zero expierience and no prior work to show. The ones that do though are on the same page, thus you will have less struggles with the team later on when you run into your first few newbie mistakes (everyone does at first).

On the other hand, if you DO have prior expierience and ideally some finished games under your belt, giving that information will attract a different group of people interested in joining a team.

Just my 2 cents...

Good luck with your project...

I agree with Roots, but I am not as nice of a person, kudos Roots for advice well given.

The lack of details in this post is amazing.

I am sorry, but this sounds a bit over reaching, and is made even more worrisome by the very nature of its ambiguity.

The fact that you call for every position also raises some questions.

1. What active role would you take on in development? (besides owning the idea)

2. How much do you know about any one aspect of development. (Can you actively produce things? (write code? create assets? music?))

3. What is the core mechanic of this game, and does it make for fun, unique, or engaging game play?

4. What game engine were you looking at? Unity, UR, a house engine?

5. Is there any concept art? (proof of concept would go a long way.)

OK so you're new to game development. I cannot say that I am an expert, but I would give you the following advice, plucked from my experiences.

1. Start small, and by small I mean damn near microscopic.

2. Pick up an aspect of game development, and practice it, everyday.(coding is good if you have a clear big picture in your head. it also lets you prototype ideas.)

3. Realize that as a new developer, and without a huge... (and I mean huge.) team, you will not make games to the scale of big studios(see 1.)

4. Concentrate on making something fun to play, hell, concentrate on making something YOURSELF, ANYTHING, even if that something is completely broken!

5. Realize that this is a pursuit that takes years, will have it's ups and downs, and there will be No Instant Gratification.

6. Have fun!! If you are not having fun, well, you should be doing something else ;)

Hey,

I appreciate your brutal honesty. I am starting small in terms of actual implementation. However, the goal is much bigger and that is what I imagine people would be more interested in. Personally I wouldn't be interested in joining a team that is just looking to put something tiny together. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding that part of your post though. I realize this might be overreaching. It probably is. This whole thing might seem a little far fetched. But I'm passionate about this. I've already said that I will be taking a position as programming and possibly 3d modeling depending on how well I pick it up. I thought I said I was using Unreal Engine 4 but perhaps I didn't and I really should have. Currently there is no concept art but I am constantly searching for more artists to help make it. I have 2 artists that are currently working on some pieces.

You should probably mention your expierience level in game development, and prior work (if there is any) so people interested in joining up get the right picture.

Yes, that means less people might be interested in joining if you have zero expierience and no prior work to show. The ones that do though are on the same page, thus you will have less struggles with the team later on when you run into your first few newbie mistakes (everyone does at first).

On the other hand, if you DO have prior expierience and ideally some finished games under your belt, giving that information will attract a different group of people interested in joining a team.

Just my 2 cents...

Good luck with your project...

Hey thanks for your input!

I am pretty new to game development. The only thing that I have created was a 2d (crappy) remake of pokemon stadium. However it was on my old computer and it crapped out on me before I pulled any of the files off of it. I was actually kind of proud of it even though it was pretty simple and stupid. The AI on it was incredibly stupid lol

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement