• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dpadam450

RTS Models

This topic is 741 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Good chunk of models finished for the pre-alpha build of my RTS game. You can check my journal for some updates. I will be posting some video within a day or two of these in action.

models_by_dpadam450-da8onrk.jpg

Advertisement

What kind batching are you going to use on these?

They look good, definitely shows some experience with art, you have a good eye for shapes and forms.

It just feels like you have been lazy with the creation of the textures and the texel density is wrong, it could be that you are blurring the textures to get rid of noise but all models should have the same amount of detail or they don't feel like they belong in the same game.

The models is nice and clear, no mistaking what they are and the art direction is a good choice, every thing has a solid presence with nothing feeling un-needed.

Looking forward to more updates from you.(Yea that right some responsibility to keep you at it :D )

Which ones stand out to you. The building props are all getting thrown out. The F16 is a bit old as well, I think at the time I was using a 2048 texture, but the textures I was combining in photoshop were at a lower resolution so that one is a little bit blurry.

Thanks for the constructive feedback.

What kind batching are you going to use on these?

Don't know what you mean by batching.

It just feels like you have been lazy with the creation of the textures

Pretty much. I've always been weaker at textures but I'm spending a lot more time now. I would say none of the textures there are final, the building textures are garbage, but I also have to hit a pre-alpha playable build. So my C130, I just stopped once it looked presentable enough. I have 30 hours a week to put in (already working 40 hours at a real job), so right now I'm trying to balance what is the right amount of polish vs playability. It is tough.

Edited by dpadam450

If I had to pick my favorites it would be the two tanks, the hover craft and the ship.

Batching is what Minecraft calls junks, it's when you take two models and merge them into one. Because with PC's it doesn't matter if you have 500 10-polygon models or 500 100-polygon models you will hit a geom limit and have about the same frame rate.

Batching and instancing is used to optimize the amount of objects on screen.

I ask because some games like Total war batch lots of small units into one mesh where games like Command and conquer use less strict batching and so have less "soldiers" at a given time. Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars used the best of both.

Basically I am asking how will soldiers be represented as Units or individuals.

I understand with textures, it's like I tell my clients if each model uses the four basic textures and I only spend ten minutes on each, I still have to spend forty minutes on textures per model.

Matching your texel density is however important for a professional look, if you want I can show you a quick texel mapping technique that works %90 of the time.

I've got batching under control, will have no problems there. Right now the hovercraft is made up of I believe 10 objects and they all have texture from 512-2048.

Went back and updated the spec map and roughness map on this F16. I also did some work to bring the resolution up since as I was saying: alot of my layers in photoshop were actually lower texel density than the actual texture I was using. I tiled those layers another 2 or 3 times and it made it a bit better.

Still a WIP.

f16.jpg

if you want I can show you a quick texel mapping technique that works %90 of the time.

Sure.

The jet looks a lot nicer now.

The quick texel tip, I use Blender but learned this back when I still used Max so it will work for most software:

[spoiler]Vg9uX7m.png[/spoiler]

Here is the basic setup, we have the model unwrapped but at a wrong texel density(Scaled to emphasize it.).

[spoiler]4eDXXtE.png[/spoiler]

Next take your texel floor and divide it by 24 along a single axis. Delete all but one slice. My texel floor is 1024*1024 here.

[spoiler]OflUSa5.png[/spoiler]

Join the small slice to your model and UV unwrap the model. Here you can see even this simple model doesn't match my texel floor.

You know the texel density is right when the long side of the texel floor is touching the edge of the UV texture.

[spoiler]1yh91sO.png[/spoiler]

Now repeat using a larger texel floor, I used 2048*2048 here. Move your UV map to make the most of the texture and delete the slice.

You will now have to fill the texture grid, as you can see even a simple object like this uses a lot of texture space so it's often not hard to fill.

When making a lot of models this is a quick way to do the texel density, now you only have to concern yourself with detail density and poly density.

I hope this helps, explaining it like this is difficult, I wish for the time to do a proper tutorial but a artist is always busy.

I just unwrap everything to a checkerboard texture that is black and white, I fit everything in it as tight as possible and make all the faces map as close to the same resolution. Same concept except for taking that final unwrap and determining what texture size I need to match a world texel density.

Going to be a long road to development but the art side is still a learning experience for me.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!