• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ZachBethel

[D3D12] Debug validation weirdness

This topic is 812 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've got a scenario where I am building a command list that involves using UAVs. The UAV is transitioned to the Unordered Access state in a prior command list, like so:

Command List A:

Transition NonPixelShaderResource -> UnorderedAccess

Command List B:

UAV barrier

ClearUnorderedAccessViewUint

Dispatch

more UAV barriers

Direct Queue: (A, B)

When I try and queue a UAV barrier on the later command list, I get this error spewing:

D3D12 ERROR: ID3D12CommandList::ClearUnorderedAccessViewUint: Resource state (0x0) of resource (0x00000242CA4635A0:'Histogram') (subresource: 0) is invalid for use as a unordered access view.  Expected State Bits: 0x8, Actual State: 0x0, Missing State: 0x8. [ EXECUTION ERROR #538: INVALID_SUBRESOURCE_STATE]
D3D12 ERROR: ID3D12GraphicsCommandList::ResourceBarrier: Before state (0x8) of resource (0x00000242CA4635A0:'Histogram') (subresource: 0) specified transition barrier does not match with the state (0x0) specified in the previous call to ResourceBarrier [ RESOURCE_MANIPULATION ERROR #527: RESOURCE_BARRIER_BEFORE_AFTER_MISMATCH]

Is the debug layer just over validating? Or is there actually an issue here? For one, the error doesn't really make sense, if I remove the UAV barrier call the errors stop, but my resource is definitely not in the common state (0x0). I get this error even when I create the resource in the UnorderedAccess state.

Besides, how can the debug layer know I haven't transitioned the resource properly before I call ExecuteCommandLists? A prior command list could do the transition.

Has anyone encountered this issue before?
Edited by ZBethel

Advertisement

When do you get the message? At the "UAV barrier" call or at the execute the command lists?

It turns out it's the UAV barrier that's barking at me, and it only seems to happen if I do a UAV barrier on a command list without first transitioning the resource to a UAV in that command list, which seems wrong.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!