• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Eluoci

Unity vs Unreal Physics for driving game

This topic is 746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys! Could you say which one of this engine would be a better choice for a driving type game. Which is more friendly to physic twining? 

Best Regards

Edited by Eluoci

Advertisement

I could be wrong, I don't use Unity, but don't they both use the same PhysX engine?

Unity and Unreal is very similar with Unity mostly targeting indie and smaller developers, while Unreal offers all the powerful tools and expects you know how to use them.

Unreal offers more versatility from the get go and this means there is a lot more switches and buttons making it harder for new developers.

Personally I recommend Unreal over Unity in most cases, however it will depend on what you want from you engine.

Unreal is free so give it a try.

Edited by Scouting Ninja

Depending on the type of driving game, you'll be writing a lot of the vehicle physics yourself, and just using the underlying physics engine for collision detection and integration.

both are using PhysX... none of them gives you a very realistic physics setup without a lot of manual tweaks.

I fought with PhysX 2.8 in Unity 4... the newer version of PhysX in both engines is not really better. Either you are happy with very basic physics, buy a more advanced physics package specifically tweaked for racing games from the asset store (don't know if there are any for the Unreal engine though), or you will have to do a lot of manual tweaking.

As too which engine is better... well, both are about equal in features, Unreal MIGHT win out on performance in high-end PC settings, but Unity wins out in Editor usability and documentation quality (though this is really subjective). None of both really is superior for any kind of game.

Good news for you is: both engines are free. As of now, yes, that includes a fully featured version of Unity 5. If you pass a certain threshold in earnings, want to remove the Unity splash screen at the start of your game, or access to a dark UI for the Editor (yes, really :)), you will need pro (or you soon will get a cheaper option with the Plus sub). Apart from that, you get everything important with the free version.

So why not download both, and give both a spin? See which you personally like better? I heard some people that liked Unreal Engine way better than Unity, others (me included) expierienced the exact opposite reaction. Only you can answer which is the right engine for you.

Edited by Gian-Reto

Depending on the type of driving game, you'll be writing a lot of the vehicle physics yourself, and just using the underlying physics engine for collision detection and integration.

Yep, depending how how realistic you want to get you will be down and dirty creating models for suspension systems, tires (heat, grip, air pressures etc)

In fact the most important bit of physics in a driving game is the tires as in the end you are "stuck" to the road by 4 very small surfaces that interact with the road surface in very subtle ways

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!