Bitmaps in Borland 5.01

Started by
4 comments, last by Raslon 22 years, 4 months ago
Hi there people! My dear friend Daniel came up to me a day ago and asked me if I could write a "Pokédex" for his brother. I answered him that I can try but I''m not very good at these graphical thingies. Or, more truly spoken, I know next to nothing about it. (except for putpixel(int x, int y, int c) and circle(int xmid, int ymid, int radie) (Whatever radie is called in english) And I thought that this could be a great chance to learn something about graphics. So I was wondering if someone could help me with how I show images in the programs. I''m using Borland C++ 5.01 and the BGI interface for DOS. I would like to learn DirectX or OpenGL but I think that''ll have to wait a little. Oh yeah, I don''t know anything about pointers either. My damn book I''m learning from thinks it''s to hard. But I have another one stuffed in here somewhere so it shouldn''t be very hard to learn. And yeah, as you might''ve noticed. I''m still a newbie. But I''m learning I''m looking for a well commented code with not to hard to understand comments about showing the bitmap. Well, if there''s anyway to show bitmaps that''re packed down into a .wad or something as I''m gonna use 150+ images for each little pokémon. ~Raslon
~Raslon
Advertisement
Hi,

I once tried to load a bitmap in C with the BGI and it didn''t work. The BGI only supports 16 colors and up to 640*480 pixels. A pokemon is 16 colors is gonna look bad!! Buy a good book about Windows programming and DirectX. Good book is Tricks of The Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre LaMothe. Covers lots of topics about game programmign(standard windows progs, GDI, DirectX, AI, fuzzy logic, basic modelling, cool algorithms). Takes some time to learn, but you''re "pokedex" thing is gonna look good at least. The only bad thing is that all those stupid Pokemons are displayed with the program. You could also include the bitmap as an resource so you only have 1 file, the EXE. Eveything needed is included in the EXE so you can''t lose you bitmaps and nobody can steal them too! The book is a bit expensive but worth buying if you want to write games in a later stadium!

Sand Hawk

-Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.
----------------(Inspired by Pouya)
Well, there''s just 4 colors on the gameboy
But seriously. I''m pretty much ashamed of myself that I didn''t think about the 16 color bit

I''ll just try a book I guess. But my wallet is pretty much restricted. Oh well, I''ll just go on trying to make textbased pokergames for the rest of the month so ''til I get som money

Thanks for the tip, I''ll check it out.

~Raslon
~Raslon
i''m not trying to tell you not to write this program (as it is fun and good for learning), but you can download a pokedex from ww.thepokemasters.com.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
Yeah, I know. But I won''t learn how to program graphics in that way, do I? I just thought this would be a great chance to learn how to do this. Thanks anyway
Oh yeah. You said that it would be fun and great to learn from. Missed that Anyone wanna send me Visual Studio?

~Raslon
~Raslon

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement