Yet another 'Best engine' topic

Started by
13 comments, last by kburkhart84 7 years, 9 months ago

Hey guys, I'm kinda new here. And I'm looking for good engine for 2D platformer.

Yes, I know that the question about the best engine was asked already one thousand times. But I think that technologies don't stand still, and over time the situation changes - some engines become better, appear new coolengines, etc.

Therefore I want to ask about what engine in your judgement is best for development 2D of platformer now?
It is a little about myself - I work as the programmer fullday for 4 years. I rather well know C#/Java, worked with php, java-script therefore the study of a new language won't make for me special work. In the past, I dealt with GameMaker 8 and Unity, but didn't achieve the end result. In off-duty time I haven't a lot of time to plunge into difficult development. I need the fast tool, otherwise my game will turn into never-ending unfinished construction.

What it is necessary for me from an engine?
0. The free license without critical restrictions of an engine (size/time/functions).
1. It shall be aimed on 2D. Unity wasn't pleasant to me the fact that it is expected generally for 3D. And though in the latests version it was added support of 2d, nevertheless I consider Unity too huge combine for simple 2d games.
2. Simple implementation of basic elements of platformer - movement of the character, a double jump, a wall a jump, one way platforms, moving platforms, etc.
3. The built-in level editor - similar to GameMaker.
4. A possibility of compilation for Windows.

In independent searches I stopped on two options so far - GameMaker and Construct2. Though I am not sure about them. Very attractively for me is libGDX, but it requres a lot of coding and time what I don't have.

TL;DR

What nowaday Engine is the best for development of 2D platformer in your opinion and why?

Advertisement
Yet another reaction;
- it all depends on your needs, if you want to go multi platform, Unity might still be a good idea (you have to weigh the benefits and the disadvantages)

I personally would prefer DIY (engine) compared to gamemaker, to stay in control. But this might depend on your skills and what your goal is (grow as a programmer in a specific area, learn tech programming, or maybe just create a game because it sounds fun :))

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

I tried to draw my needs in the first post. No, I don't need a multiplatform, only Windows.

The main requirement - the high speed of development (for this purpose the engine shall be aimed on 2D not to fight against excesses of 3D while development, there shall be available tools for quick implementation of the main mechanics of platformer and that the most important - there shall be a comfortable level editor. Unity doesn't possess any of the listed properties - it's 3D, it's physics based, what is bad for classic platformer, it isn't so easy and quick to implement platformer mechanics and the editor with float coordinates isn't comfortable for 2D).
Yesterday I tested Construct2 and I can tell what despite existence of the built-in behaviours and the comfortable editor, lack of a code per se generally repels me. To write events through a clicks with a mouse is somehow not my bag. Because of it the editor look such... limited.

GameMaker so far is good - good editor, built-in gml language, easy to implement platformer mechanics. But... there may still be something better what I yet do not know about.

Writing engine by myself - is too time-consuming and it isn't worth the investment of effort. For me it is just reinventing the wheel, while there are so many completed engines (almost)without bugs.

And my main goal - to complete the game. Time-consuming instruments may turn development into a neverending task. But I want to see the result, to play the game I may enjoy.

GameMaker so far is good - good editor, built-in gml language, easy to implement platformer mechanics. But... there may still be something better what I yet do not know about.

Given everything else you've said so far, I think GameMaker is the best recommendation for you.

We _could_ debate some of your points/needs, but that's not really worthwhile. GameMaker works, it does what you need, you already seem to like it, so use it and stop worrying if there's maybe something better.

Sean Middleditch – Game Systems Engineer – Join my team!

I've heard that GameMaker is good for top-down rpg, while Construct2 is good for platformers, this is why I started wondering and searched the web.
As programmer myself I know that any language/tool is capable of creating any Thing, but it's matter of efford, time and convenience.

I studied the XNA when it was still in development. Everything ended sadly, as you must know. Also it's only a framework, the engine has to make yourself.

I've spent a lot of time learning Unity, because I really like it. I've read over 10 books and complete all official video tutorials, tried to make things myself. But I came to realization that Unity is just too huge for my needs. And not so convinient.

And what is about debating my points/needs?

Exerion, I would have suggested Unity, however they recently increased the yearly cost (just too much for me in example to make a living out of unity only games u.u) so instead I suggest you this unity-like (but opensource) project. i'm planning to make a RPG too (but isometric anyway). Anyway the official tutorials are basically there to show the great (dis)features (like missing a good way to pause mecanim animation) and not to teach you making games, the only way to make games with unity is making one simple and improve along the way, I never read books nor used the tutorials (though I have already made games with other frameworks like irrlicht) and I think you don't need them at all. Do something, when you find you are stuck search on Google or ask for help and you'll get to next step.

Unity itself is not bad, and the only downside for a simple 2D game is the package size (10MB even with no game at all), but they increased the price once, they would probably do that again, what is bad with current pricing is that small indie teams will have hard life because if they touch 100.000 revenue exactly they start spending a lot of license, while if you are alone or on a big company this is not a problem, this is a problem for poeple that actually spreaded the unity word (so the small indie teams)

here it is, Godot engine:

https://godotengine.org/

Hi

in addition to DemonDar suggestion, I suggest you these two:

-Monogame (if you like xna and it's workflow)

-wave engine( free, lightweight, entity-component based).

Stencyl.

GameSalad.

Not sure about the licenses though.

Exerion, I would have suggested Unity, however they recently increased the yearly cost (just too much for me in example to make a living out of unity only games u.u) so instead I suggest you this unity-like (but opensource) project. i'm planning to make a RPG too (but isometric anyway). Anyway the official tutorials are basically there to show the great (dis)features (like missing a good way to pause mecanim animation) and not to teach you making games, the only way to make games with unity is making one simple and improve along the way, I never read books nor used the tutorials (though I have already made games with other frameworks like irrlicht) and I think you don't need them at all. Do something, when you find you are stuck search on Google or ask for help and you'll get to next step.

Unity itself is not bad, and the only downside for a simple 2D game is the package size (10MB even with no game at all), but they increased the price once, they would probably do that again, what is bad with current pricing is that small indie teams will have hard life because if they touch 100.000 revenue exactly they start spending a lot of license, while if you are alone or on a big company this is not a problem, this is a problem for poeple that actually spreaded the unity word (so the small indie teams)

here it is, Godot engine:

https://godotengine.org/

I have dabbled with Godot engine but I must say if you can afford it, Unity is far better and has much better support and updates which is why the price has gone up I guess.

Owner and Game developer at www.spidersolitaireonline.net. I enjoy playing games and creating them!

I've been dabbling with Urho3D myself for the past few months and I can recommend it. The name implies 3D but it is just as suitable for 2D games. It comes with a plethora of 2D features (Box2D physics, collision, 2D animated sprites, particles, etc. see here) as well as other normal features (sound, input, serialization, network synchronization, pathfinding, etc.)

The code feels very modern and once you get into it it's intuitive to use. Of course, you don't have to even program in C++ if you don't want to, all of the engine's functionality is exposed through AngelScript (which feels similar to Java). It ships with a 3D editor, but I've seen people create 2D levels using it.

I think two of the coolest features of Urho3D are 1) it automatically reloads your scripts when you edit them. You don't even have to restart your game, the changes you make are immediate. This is really cool for rapid prototyping. 2) Everything is self contained. Distributing your game is a matter of zipping the "bin" folder, you don't have to screw around with dependencies and other crap alike.

I will note that Urho3D's API documentation is lacking and unhelpful. The wiki is a little better. Studying the samples that come with it help a lot. In my experience, if you have a problem, you will get an answer on the official forums within a day.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement