• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

XNA coordinate drawing

This topic is 658 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hy everyone.

I have this problem, I have a background pic that is like idk 1200 x 1600 an my xna window is lik idk 500 x 400 so this bckgnd pic is basiclly a small map for my game, and I made an animated sprite and camera that follows her anywhere on the map.

Now, I'm printing some helpful text that when I press tab I should see her coordinates on left top corner of my screen BUT here is the problem, 

lets say I did something like this:

spriteBatch.DrawString(font, ("X:" + katrina.position.X +  "\nY:" + katrina.position.Y), new Vector2(10, 10),Color.White);

Now ofcourse the text will always stay in that left top corner of the map, but not my window, cause If i move to like idk 1000x1000 my camera will be showing my player and I wont be able to see text thats on x:10, y:10

So my question is: How do I make this Helpful text always stay on top left corner of the window and not on specific coordinates of my 'map' :/ ?

Advertisement

Draw it with a different camera. IIRC, the only notion SpriteBatch has of a camera is the matrix that is passed into SpriteBatch.Begin, right? So you must be using that to draw your map.

So use a different begin/end batch for the HUD elements. The overload of Begin that doesn't take a matrix with draw things relative to the top left of the screen.

Okay now I added this DrawHud method, and:

protected override void Draw(GameTime gameTime)
        {
            GraphicsDevice.Clear(Color.CornflowerBlue);
            DrawHud(spriteBatch, gameTime); // calling DrawHud
            spriteBatch.Begin(SpriteSortMode.Deferred, BlendState.AlphaBlend, null, null, null,null, Cam.transform);

spriteBatch.Draw(bckgndT, bckgndR, null, Color.White, 0f, Vector2.Zero, SpriteEffects.None, 1);
            katrina.Draw(spriteBatch);
            if (HelpTxtVisible)
                spriteBatch.DrawString(font, ("X:" + katrina.position.X + "\nY:" + katrina.position.Y), new Vector2(katrina.position.X, katrina.position.Y - 70),Color.White);

spriteBatch.End();
            base.Draw(gameTime);
        }

public void DrawHud(SpriteBatch spriteBatch2, GameTime gameTime)
        {
            spriteBatch2.Begin(SpriteSortMode.FrontToBack, BlendState.AlphaBlend);
            spriteBatch.DrawString(font, ("Test"), new Vector2(10, 10), Color.White, 0f, Vector2.Zero, 1f, SpriteEffects.None, 0);
            spriteBatch2.End();
            base.Draw(gameTime);
        }

It works, the Text is always in 1 place, but my bckgnd image is on top of Test string, I messed around with layerdepth but cant get it right :/ ?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement