LAN vs INTERNET !?

Started by
6 comments, last by granat 22 years, 4 months ago
I have no problems sending messages (Winsock, UDP) from one computer to the other in my LAN network. I tried the same using the internet to my friends computer. It did not work. We both have ADSL. I have a router and he has some other solution (ATM card ??). We both have internal and external IP''s. I''m sure this has something to do with the problem but I have no idea about how to solve this problem ? Any suggestions ?
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Advertisement
Well, I can think of a few possible problems, but the one that would jump at me first...

Do you both have external IPs mapped to your internal computers? In other words, the computer initiating the communication, can it reach the other computer?

I think you both have NAT''d internal IPs (connection sharing?) behind your DSL public IP. You''ll have to manipulate your software or your hardware if you have a hardware firewall/NAT. Usually it''s called "Port Forwarding" or "Virtual Server". You tell the software or hardware running the device to send all traffic on a certain port to an internal IP address. So, if you have your Winsock app, make it pick a static port number for sending/receiving, and then tell your firewalls/routers to forward that port to your internal machines, respectively.

If that''s not the case, then you''ll need to supply a bit more info.

R.
Standard network practice is too see if you can if fact communicate with the other computer. Try pinging the other computer to see if there is any return.

Also, if the computers have two network cards then they will both have two IP addresses. Make sure you are trying to communicate using the IP address that is used to connect to the internet.

hope this helps

henry
HenryLecturer in Computer Games TechnologyUniversity of Abertay DundeeScotlandUK

But why does normal games work without me having to reconfigure my router ?

Edited by - granat on November 21, 2001 1:49:06 PM
Firewall... the port you are using is probably already being used or is denied.
When you say normal games im assuming your initing the connection to the game server no? If not then ignore this post but like how I run my firewall is all incomeing connections are basically dropped. The only connections that work are when I start the connection. Example is icq i can send a chat invite to someone and itll work fine. They send me a chat request and its blackholed basically.
quote:
Firewall... the port you are using is probably already being used or is denied.

I have no firewall.

I think Rube is correct. I must find out how to map ports to a specific machine..

Edited by - granat on November 22, 2001 7:03:43 AM
quote:
I think Rube is correct. I must find out how to map ports to a specific machine..

Yes, that did it. Now it works !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement