Game themes

Started by
8 comments, last by Tom Sloper 7 years, 9 months ago

Hi everyone !

Most every game these days has a ' theme '.

Do you think a ' theme ' could be created for the game of ' Chess ' or the game of ' Go ' ?

--------------------------------

Trxilt

http://trxilt.blogspot.ca/

Advertisement
I have this issue with a puzzle game that I'm making.
Surely a theme could be created for every game and no matter what genre it has.
(You can have a chess with ancient Rome theme for example.)
But I think board games ( chess, go,etc) and puzzle games doesn't necessarily need it. These games are based on logic and idea.
We can have such games without theme.

I assume you're talking about changing the look & feel, while keeping mechanics the same.

If that's what you mean, then of course. It's not even a debate. Thousands of different physical chess games have already been made. Animal chess, Warhammer chess, Marvel Super hero chess, etc.
I don't think there's that many different kind of go games out there, but If you make the go pieces bottle caps, and make the board all rusty metal, you've got yourself a fallout-themed go game.

So yes, I think a theme could be created for any game. Not every theme would fit every game just as well though. In a chess game, it's 1 team of characters vs another team of characters. That would lend itself greatly for some kind of war theme. Allies vs Nazis for a WW2 theme, DC vs Marvel for a theme where you'll get sued for copyright infringement, and alliance vs horde for a warcraft theme. It doesn't really make sense to apply an animal theme to it, where it's white elephant and white cheetah vs black elephant and black cheetah.

Perhaps, if you provide the motive behind the question, we can help you find the answer you're really looking for.

Trxlt, by "theme" are you referring to a visual/audible aspect, or are you referring to story?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I don't think there's that many different kind of go games out there, but If you make the go pieces bottle caps, and make the board all rusty metal, you've got yourself a fallout-themed go game.
Anyone doing so would not understand a go board.

The fields of the board are slightly longer than they are wide to compensate for your point of view.

The black pieces are a bit smaller than the white pieces to get a proper balance on a board with clusters of white and black.

I forgot about the colour of the original go board, but surely that has been taken into account too for a balanced view too.

This is how you recognize a cheap western mass-produced Go board from a proper Go board. Western mass-produced boards have square fields, and all stones have the same size (and often are flat instead of rounded in height as well).

I remember playing a chess computer game long ago that was Lego themed. All of the pieces were made out of Lego, and different cutscenes played when capturing a piece (depending on which piece captured which). Is this the kind of thing you're talking about?

Anyone doing so would not understand a go board.

The fields of the board are slightly longer than they are wide to compensate for your point of view.

The black pieces are a bit smaller than the white pieces to get a proper balance on a board with clusters of white and black.

I forgot about the colour of the original go board, but surely that has been taken into account too for a balanced view too.

This is how you recognize a cheap western mass-produced Go board from a proper Go board. Western mass-produced boards have square fields, and all stones have the same size (and often are flat instead of rounded in height as well).

Where I come from, Go isn't very widely known. As a matter of fact, I've only played it on pc once a long time ago. Obviously, you're right and I don't understand a go board. I had no idea this much thought has gone into the game's design. Thanks, that's interesting.

A game that I invented is called ' Trxilt '.

It is an abstract strategy game.

I wanted to know if I could create a theme for ' Trxilt '.

From the feedback, it seems that I can create a ' theme ' for my game.

Thanks !

Sure, start by renaming the game to "Trxilt Pirates" or "Kingdom of Trxilt" or "Invaders from planet Trxilt" or "Ninjas of Trxlit". It's an imperative that the name draws you to the theme (because you want to attract players who want to play "pirates" or "ninjas" and the name would allow them to quickly find it).

Overall, "Trxilt" is a great name for an abstract, non themed game. And in your particular case I would not make a theme at all (theme is an opposite for an abstract game, actually, I think (could be wrong) the definition of an abstract game is a game without any particular theme).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

A game that I invented is called ' Trxilt '.
It is an abstract strategy game.
From the feedback, it seems that I can create a ' theme ' for my game.
Thanks !

You CAN, but that doesn't mean you SHOULD.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement