Please, criticize my game idea.

Started by
4 comments, last by gamenight 7 years, 8 months ago

Hey everybody!

My name is Alan and i recently started learning how to code, now, the reason why i wanted to learn coding is because i always make up games in my mind and i wanted to try to actually make them.

Now, i'm starting my first project and I would like to know from you why it sucks (IF it sucks :lol:).

The idea behind the game is to create a dungeon crawler tcg, it seems really complex and weird but it honestly isn't. You and your enemy start a dungeon, every turn you and your enemy will encounter and fight a new random enemy, when you kill the enemy you get gold and you can use this gold to play cards that you draw from your deck.

Cards from your deck are Items and Spells, Items are equip that will help you advance through the dungeon and spells can be used to help yourself or to challenge even more your enemy by strenghting his enemies or by weakening him directly. (obviously you build your own deck of spells and items based on how you want to play the game)

When a monster dies it drops loot (Cards, InGame Currency and so on).

The game keeps going untill one of the two gets killed, if it doesn't happen before they run out of cards the two will face each other using only attacks.

When the winner is declared it keeps his loot and it can choose to also keep half of the enemy loot (or all of it, still have to decide).

That's about it, english is not my native tongue so it may be hard to understand what i mean but i hope you still manage to do it :lol:

Well now it's all about you guys, questions? suggestions? if it sucks for you just tell me, i just want all the feedback i can get.

Advertisement

Not a bad idea, then it isn't a original idea either. There are a few games like this and most drafting games are like this.

Google "card drafting games" games for examples.

The nice thing about cards is that they can be made to resemble any thing, even dungeon exploring and battles.

The thing you need to ask yourself is why use cards, when you could just use characters and items?

You need a good mechanic that makes the cards feel needed instead of just added in

Also lookup "Card hunter".

Nice, I like it. You'll have to really focus in on the player vs player stuff. Were you thinking of having two, three maybe 10 players all entering a dungeon and they are enemies to one another??? That'd be cool.

A very good point about this concept I'd like to point out: It's easy to prototype on paper. Cut up some cards, draw a dungeon, design some items and spells and play it with people. You will have to do that design part anyway, and it'll be alot easier find out if you actually likr the idea or not.

AND, if you discover you don't like programming after all, you might just have a cool card game anyway!
Programmer of HolyPoly games.
@scouting ninja i didn't know many games like that tbh, i like that you pointed some of them out so that i can see how other games like mine work.
Also i think cards are going to be needed because in my opinion having something like a 40 cards deck instead of a 8 items build mixed with a few spells limit the possibility to come up with new and newer builds

@awoken that is exactly the plan, the main point of the game (beside looting cards which is something that i love) is the challenge between Players, 1v1, 2v2, 5 all against each others and so on.

@istarnion that is how i came out with the concept, since i have never done any kind of games before i thought about something that i could prototype in real life without having to Write a single line of code

Nice man. I like it. You will have to really focus on the player vs player stuff and i hope you have thrive

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement