• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XL3000

Should I switch?

This topic is 6054 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I dont have Linux and have never tried it. One of my friends is almost finatical about it but he cant give me any solid reasons why. I wouldnt mind checking it out but I am definately a Windows child. So I guess my question is this, what are the benefits of Linux over Windows? The main drawback I can see right off is the loss of all of my software and the $$$ I have invested in on Windows. It is kind of like a catch, I dont want to use MS anylonger but I have so much invested in it I dont know if I can get out. Also, games, games, games! I love computer games, is there much support for them in Linux and will any of my Windows games cross over? I would have asked my friend but he just yells something about Tucks rules?!?! If anyone else has been in a similar situation and can give me some insight, I would appreciate it. Thanks Xeo Larin

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Do what I did... install both, Linux provides dual/multiple boot through LILO (LInux LOader) or GRUB. Ween yourself off of Windows while learning Linux. I suggest for beginners that you start with Linux-Mandrake 8.1, http://www.mandrake.com. If you really hate the idea of losing your software for windows... there is an emulator for Linux called Wine which comes with Mandrake 8.1... it is not perfect, its not even beta... but it is getting there

i was in the same predicament, but i took the easy way out

I have 2 PCs now, 1 linux and 1 Windows is great no dual boot woes either, and can use both at same time.

I must confess i use the windows one more for my games etc.

Verdict, if you cant have both i''d stick with windows

Try it simply first. Maybe buy a second hard drive (don''t need a big one) and install linux on that so you can dual boot.

Linux is a great operating system for the cost (free!). I think it will probably become prolific in the future on the server end. It''s use a desktop platform is still undirected. There are a lot of people working on a lot of programs to make Gnome/KDE and X meet end user expectations. The debate on if they were successful is still raging on. Personally, with the exception of games, you pretty much have the full abilities of Windows on your machine. I actually like the Window system on Linux, though I wish short-cuts were standardized. I also prefer Int Explorer. I know, I''m crazy, but most of the new browsers just have too many goofy bugs to make me happy.

Only set back...it''s a bit daunting. Not because Linux is hard, it''s really simple, but because the amount of options available make it hard to sometimes know what to use and can create a soup of syntax and features that turns some people off when they first start using it.

I definitely feel it''s a superior operating system, but it doesn''t quite fill the same boots as Windows yet. Hopefully one day. But, if you like to hack around with your computer, Linux is definitely the way to go. I personally find programming on Unix to be more rewarding for my time investment than Windows. Once you learn Linux and Unix are nothing but a collection of very simple, very specific programs chained together to get a result, you''ll have a lot of computing power at your hands.

Personally, I''m so enamored with the utility of the BASH shell and many of the common Unix utility programs, I make sure to install them on my Windows box. A task I could perform in one line of text in a BASH script on Lnux might take me using ActiveX scripting or even a simple C/Perl program to accomplish.

I would give it a shot and experiment. G''luck.

R.

I am doing a duel boot at the moment with Mandrake 8.1 and still learning the system. I have had Linux running for over 3 weeks straight now without any of the problems I find in Windows in mere hours. I am still dependent on Windows for a few games but most of the ones I play are found at the Loki Games site. For me it isnt going to be that much of a change since there are only a few games I play all the time (Tribes2:D :D :D) and they are already ported to Linux. I dont know about the other distributions but Mandrake came bundled with quite a few games also. Good luck with what you decided to do, I know it is a hard choice to make. It took me almost a year and the release of XP to finally decide. I still havent tried that Wine thing they were talking about but as soon as I can figure out the docs on it I will. Good luck.

SDB - If you are the only one that can fix it, why are you complaining to me?

Edited by - sdb on November 21, 2001 2:16:21 PM

WINE is interesting. It''s an implimentation of the Win32 API on linux. The idea is that when they''re done, you should be able to run Windows App unaltered on your Linux box. All the calls to Windows OS code would be handled by Wine.

Unfortunately, while they''ve made some great successes and you can run some of the older stuff with few bugs, it''s not ready to be the perfect solution yet.

Although, I recently hear about Lindows I think. From what I read, they''re going to start up by making a distribution centered around WINE and windows compatibility. Now, sounds good, but unless they know something the WINE team doesn''t, not sure if they''ll be offering anything new to the Linux crowd.

R.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by XL3000
I would have asked my friend but he just yells something about Tucks rules?!?!
Xeo Larin

LOL if you didnt know, he is talking about the penguin that represents Linux. His name is Tux! (and your friend is correct)

Hey, this post is just in time! I was about to ask this question:

I was planning on using a dual boot between Mandrake and WindowsME. I am trying to figure out where I can get the stuff needed for my sound blaster and vodoo to support Linux, how I would split them, where I would get Madrake, and if someone could explain what compiler I would use for it.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Drizzt DoUrden
...where I can get the stuff needed for my sound blaster

Creative Labs OpenSource page

quote:
...vodoo to support Linux

Direct Rendering Interface, XFree86

quote:
...how I would split them

You mean the operating systems, not the hardware, right?

Dual booting is not so hard. You require separate boot partitions and one or more dedicated data partitions per OS (Windows can use just one partition for both, but it must be below the 1023 cylinder limit and preferrably the first partition on the primary master; Linux should have at least /, /usr and /home partitions - use more as you see fit or less if you think you''re up to it). You then need a bootloader than can recognize and boot multiple OSes; I recommend GRUB because it''s so easy to configure and gets you into a lot less trouble than LILO.

As for the actual partitioning, you could use Partition Magic under Windows to repartition your drives without losing the data, or you could do it the old-fashioned way: back up all your data, partition your drives (erasing their contents) and format each parition per-install.

[uote]...where I would get Madrake
Linux-Mandrake Home.

quote:
...and if someone could explain what compiler I would use for it.

Boy, you must not have been paying attention for the last three months! GCC. There is only one (okay, there are others, but GCC is The ONE).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!