Copyright

Started by
75 comments, last by N1njaSt0rm 7 years, 7 months ago
It is not possible to violate their usage from copyright-authorship manner.

It absolutely is possible. I'm not sure why you keep saying that, as global treaties have made copyright and trademark laws uniform across nearly all the globe.

If you made a slightly modified version of their logo then your logo is derived from theirs and similar to theirs. Distributing the derivative logo would violate copyright laws. Using the derivative logo in a product would violate trademark laws. You must either have permission to use it or face the possibility of lawsuit.

Advertisement

It absolutely is possible. I'm not sure why you keep saying that, as global treaties have made copyright and trademark laws uniform across nearly all the globe.

Maybe this confusion I and you have, stems from fact, that yes, all those symbols and graphics are well defined, protected, and identifiable, while being even more protected from derivatives than other commercial TMs.

But that is not due to someone's authoring right over them, and violation of the usage does not fall under copyright infriguing being investiagted and punished.

But that is not due to someone's authoring right over them, and violation of the usage does not fall under copyright infriguing being investiagted and punished.

I'm curious where you are getting your information from. It certainly is not from things like the modern WIPO Copyright Treaty, the TRIPS treaty, or even the Berne Copyright Convention that has been in place since the 1880s.

Authors' Rights are precisely how the protections are granted. The author (or creator) of a work is automatically granted a list of primary rights over the thing they have created. One of those rights is the right to create and distribute derivative works.

The author (or creator) of a work is automatically granted a list of primary rights over the thing they have created.

Possible creators of those (assets of facting products) have been employed by the public body- and since that- the creations belong to the public body.

And those creations are controled by appointed authority (by public) to control them ever since (with restrictions still, crossing too far by manager appointed still).

I am just trying to have appointed the diference and reasoning behind their usage or display, not based upon the authorship- that may have resulted in a serious crime if proven intentional.

Please frob , save me, I am no more responding.

I agree that copyright is not necessarily the form of IP involved (insofar as FBI and CIA are concerned).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

BUT.... If you name your character Jack Ryan, or Jason Bourne, or Homer Simpson, those names now ARE someone in particular, so you're likely to get in trouble with them if you use them

ok I didn't intended to do that.

I know that if I use already created characters from another stories I will be sued for copyright or trademark.

If you open up a book of names, or an (archaic) phone book and use that to pick a first name and last name that sound good together, that's fine. But if you pick an existing famous name you are asking for a lawsuit.

I have intended to use that method to pick random name and random surname from somewhere and than combine them together, but of course I wont pick famous name.

No. Company names are trademarks and their names are owned by the companies. You need permission from the company or you are asking for a lawsuit.

just as I thought, company names, logos, etc. are part of the trademark rights and therefore I need permission.

YES. If you did not imagine it into existence you need permission to use it. The concept really shouldn't be that difficult to grasp. You need permission to use EVERYTHING that you did not create yourself. For movies that includes permissions for the furniture, wall hangings, even the distinctive clothing. If you pay attention to TV and movie characters an extremely high number of them wear generic clothing with no logos, no distinctive stitching patterns on pants pockets, no logos on shirts, and typically plain color clothing. They generally need permission for the buildings they incorporate, creators of any distinctive landscapes. They've got standing licenses to record and publish the pictures of vehicles. EVERYTHING NEEDS PERMISSION. In games this means making items that are unique to the game. Games either license real-world vehicles or make their own designs for general boxes-on-wheels. Games either license real-world weapons or make their own designs for handheld tube-shaped bullet-throwers. Games either license real-world uniforms and armor or make their own designs for character costumes. License it or make up something new and distinctive. This is true for all things. It shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp, and is normally taught starting with toddlers and earliest childhood: If it is not yours you need permission to use it.

so that means that I have to obtain permission even for recording my movie in particular city?

Get approval before using their names, logos, buildings, or any other distinctive elements, or be prepared for a lawsuit.

ok I dont know if I will use their buildings or logos.

what I meant is that I want to use the word FBI or CIA

becouse there will be some CIA agents.
so do I need permission for using the word CIA?

1. so that means that I have to obtain permission even for recording my movie in particular city?
2. so do I need permission for using the word CIA?

1. Yes. It's called a filming permit.
2. I don't know. How are you planning to use it? How are you portraying the CIA? In your story, is the CIA "the good guys" or are they "agents of Satan"? What's your movie's budget? Not much, I guess, since you can't afford to consult a lawyer for one hour...

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

so do I need permission for using the word CIA?

If you want to use genuine executive symbols/references of U.S public institutions ...yes :)

Have your entire set-up involving it very ready and defined/described.

Get redy to pay 3 month sallary of a single person at least to do so, +, add up some other compensation since it will have to occupy even some higher competent person time.

40 000 dolars is not too much- movies/games are all welcome.

For examle, "Taking of Pelham 123" had to use none of federal institutions agreements, but the Major of N.Y. City.

Super movie, watch it! A movie Travolta was eager to shoot. since Travolta is a spoiled actor.

This question is for Tom Sloper.

when I asked my first question you give me a link to http://www.sloperama.com/advice/faq61.htm

I read this "I'm not a lawyer, but I've been in the game industry a long time" so you can answer me to the following question.

I am not asking for a legal advice just for short explanation.

Sorry that I didn't ask this earlier.

recently I read a few EULA documents from some games and other programs and movies.

under copyright information I found something like this: c copyright limited 2004-2008. or copyright limited 2006. or something like that.

I am asking you this since you have been in a game industry so you should be familliar with this "limited copyright"

can you help me understend this better because as far as I understand it the copyright has expired in 2006 or so.

therefore I can maybe use something without perrmission (or not).

however I just asking A short explanation what is this mean when its say LIMITED COPYRIGHT.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement