Does Windows 10 have compatability issues?

Started by
20 comments, last by Bacentyas 6 years, 8 months ago
I've been using windows 10 almost since release date. I've only come across one issue.

If you're using a very old machine with a very old amd/radeon graphics card then it isn't supported by windows 10. You basically have to stay with 7 to get the latest amd driver, or stay with driver version 8 and upgrade to 10 after which point unreal engine 4 will bitch loudly at you each time you start it up telling you your out of date graphics driver might have issues and you should update it. You can't, though. This is a bigger problem on a laptop where you can't just replace the graphics card.

Come to mention it though I haven't encountered any of the issues it nags about though that that is a six year old laptop.

I'd recommend taking the plunge.

Have fun!
Advertisement

... and please don't come across as agressive or accusative as you come across in your posts here.

Unrepentant, (I would have apologised, @mhagain)

Wow! Its only a simple thread on windows 10.

All credits to Gian-Reto, I can't see how he's been aggressive or accusative in any way.

Instead after being accused of spreading lies he kept his cool. A good example to us all.

Back to topic ...

On hardware ... not experienced enough to say which way or not...

As for programs and tools ... all work fine on windows 10. (i don't use all programs on OP list though)

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

I ran the upgrade on my laptop ages ago. Had VS 2010 + 13 + 15, resharper and other dev related tools and all went fine.

With the Anniversary update that hits next month I have seen people on the insider program state that you can link your 10 licence to your MS account and that eases full fresh install with no need to install the old OS and then upgrade which really smooths things out.

The only major headache I had was NVidia, unlike AMD they did not partner with MS and there were a shed load of clashes with drivers and GeForce Experience. Most of that is smoothed out now but had an Nvidia driver issue a moth ago and took hours of BS and downloads to get working again.

Windows in general has a pretty excellent compatibility record. Generally the programs that break compatibility or need serious fixing are programs that didn't keep to recommended practices. The worst issues were exposed when UAC was introduced (in Vista, I think) -- in some part because it was a little heavy-handed, but mostly because programs had been playing fast and loose with the rules they'd been advised of for years, left-right-and-center. Really, the binary-compatiblity track-record is amazing -- Linux doesn't even pretend to try, much less to match it.

You'll still also find the compatibility-mode drop-down box in program-properties as well, where you'll find modes for Windows versions spanning from 95 all the way up to 8, including most service-pack levels.

I've not experienced any software issues what-so-ever, myself. I've experienced one or two driver issues in early days, but they've gotten resolved over time. My work machine, which I'm speaking of, first started with a Windows 7 install, and then was upgraded to Windows 8 (and 8.1), and finally to Windows 10 -- so its also entirely possible that this upgrade string contributed to my driver issues. As always, if you're upgrading in place, make sure to save your important files onto another drive just to be safe. Installs and upgrades can always go wrong.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Unless you have super pressing reasons as to why you NEED something other than Windows 10, then I would suggest the route of "Upgrade and see". You can always nuke and go back if needed.

However, before you do upgrade I would strongly suggest sitting down and double checking that all your data you care about is being properly backed up and is readily recovered. This is something that you should be doing anyway, and you should always assume that your current windows install, and all data on that system, could die at any point.

Also, check that what you think is being backed up, is actually being backed up. Seriously. Don't just look at the backup report and say "Yep, it ran with no errors and everything is fine", actually get in there and look at the files it is backing up.

Your backup software will happily report no errors as it backs up that old working folder you haven't been using for years since you had to change something...

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

Also, check that what you think is being backed up, is actually being backed up. Seriously. Don't just look at the backup report and say "Yep, it ran with no errors and everything is fine", actually get in there and look at the files it is backing up.

Your backup software will happily report no errors as it backs up that old working folder you haven't been using for years since you had to change something...

Spoken through the icy-cool of the thousand-centimeter stare. No data left behind. Never forget.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

the Windows support is even more incompetent than any other support I had dealed with to date (had to call about 3 Indian guys until I finally got a rep in europe whose english I could understand).

Front-line Microsoft support is atrocious, even on MSDN - consumer-grade support is a fucking trainwreck. Since I work at a company that sells software to hel(P|L)desks, though, I'm sure that the first few layers are some kind of double or triple outsourced grunts that can just barely execute the script, and don't have the knowledge or authority to really do anything.

It's less those folks over there's fault, than the corps that think they are saving money by hiring cut-rate outsourced employees or offloading their infrastructure to third-parties, rather than doing it in-house.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

I'm happily using visual studio (even the older 2012), virtual box (I think I had to upgrade for some reason, but that was when windows 10 had just come out). Don't know about android studio, but doing android development with eclipse is fine.

More generally, I found it smootger than upgrading from XP to 7 (which had some issues does to the 32/64 bit transition, and improved security model). The only issues I had with 10 were a couple of applications showing glory fonts, which were all fixed by upgrading the applications.

On licences, the only thing I'm unclear on is what happens if you upgrade a full retail version - do you then have a full retail version of 10 that can be installed on a new machine? I've seen conflicting sources saying opposite things. What I want to know is, if I upgrade a retail version to 10, how do I then move that installation to a brand new machine, without first installing 7 and then upgrading (given that 10 no longer has product keys, and instead recognises the hardware)? Has anyone actually managed to do this?

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

In the end, all I had to do was to add my microsoft account as a user, login once, and re-enter the Windows 7 Serial. Windows 10 accepted the serial on the first try, and I have again a fully licensed Windows version.

Why the difference between local user and microsoft account IDK, but anyway, seems the problems with getting an upgraded Windows 10 to work after a hardware failure have been resolved, at least as long as you already have a microsoft account. Not going to complain about that, as everyone is nowadays requiring you to create an account to use about anything.

Thanks for the heads up, mhagain.

More generally, I found it smootger than upgrading from 7 to win 10 (which had some issues does to the 32/64 bit transition, and improved security model). The only issues I had with 10 were a couple of applications showing glory fonts, which were all fixed by upgrading the applications.

VS and Android Studio work fine. I have problem with AutoCAD

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement