• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Fredericvo

DataGridView in plain C/C++

This topic is 734 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to create a non-game program that makes extensive use of the ListView but one thing that bothered me was the apparent impossibility to set a border colour for it. The default colour is way too light. Owner/Customdraw don't allow it or at least not in a way that I know. I discovered that Windows Forms and WPF use something called DataGridView and it's visual appearance is way more appealing and it seems a lot more powerful overall than the humble built-in winapi listview. What I wanted in the first place, set a darker border colour also seems absolutely trivial there. If possible though I would like to avoid having to use CLR or C#.

I compiled a small winforms  program with a datagrid and ran dependency viewer on it so I could see which dlls are in use and the only extra dll of interest I saw seemed to be mscoree.dll. I read that .NET functionality is implemented in this dll but what I wonder and this is my question is whether there's a way to use datagrid from plain C/C++? Or is there a lot more involved? Is that even the dll that implements datagrid? I couldn't see useful functions exported from mscoree.dll although I only did a quick visual inspection of them. Then again there is no CreateListview function in user32 either, only a pre-registered window class and associated windows messages... I assume datagrid, if at all possible to use from C, does something similar?

Advertisement

If you really don't want to use CLR/C#, I think you're probably better off using a C++ GUI library like Qt.

If you really don't want to use CLR/C#, I think you're probably better off using a C++ GUI library like Qt.

I had thought of trying XPTable. I think Qt has a learning curve of its own and portability is a non-issue to me.

I'm still wondering whether using DataGridView is technically possible though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!