• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ongamex92

Dice Battlefront Level Editor

This topic is 886 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

https://vimeo.com/172293963

Looks amazing.

I wonder how do they blend the geometry with the terrain so well.

Advertisement

It looks a bit more complicated, I don't know if it is a video compression or not, but when they put an item, the pixels around it change a bit.

Reprojection

i'm not familiar what that thing is?

Otherwise i suspect something similar to that technique "soft particles" applied on the terrain. But it has to be something a bit more complicated.

Edited by imoogiBG

When I saw that video, my assumption was that the terrain is using some kind of 'mega-texture' / texture composition cache system, including colours and normals at least.

The "terrain" shader is extremely simple - just sampling out of this mega-texture.

The "terrain object" shader (used on rocks/etc) can then sample the terrain heightmap and determine how close to intersecting with the terrain each pixel is. As this approaches zero, this shader can sample the terrain's mega-texture and replace it's own colour/normal with the terrain's colour/normal, creating what looks like a smooth intersection in the shading, even though geometrically it's a sharp intersection.

And yeah, it looks amazing. When playing SWBF, I thought that a lot of the terrain was unique meshes, when in fact it's just a combination of a height map and "kit-bash" meshes - with this magic technique hiding the transition from height-map to mesh! :o

Props to Dice!

Edited by Hodgman

It looks a bit more complicated, I don't know if it is a video compression or not, but when they put an item, the pixels around it change a bit.

I believe the engine used for Metal Gear Solid does something like this, or at least mentioned an explination for how this could work. http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020197/Landscape-Creation-and-Rendering-in

The other thought is that they are not using actual colored textures for some of their objects. And instead are using a series of black and white textures that can be tiled and combined to make new materials. This would make it fairly easy under the right projection to blend things in.

Or... well till the DICE guy posted information :P

Edited by Tangletail

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!