Compilers

Started by
26 comments, last by ccuccherini 7 years, 8 months ago

Since much of the world is still using Windows 7, if you *must* use Visual Studio, I recommend 2010 (2010 express if you don't want to pay). That way your beta testers / friends do not need to download and install extra runtimes just to give feedback on your software.

Personally I recommend getting away from Visual Studio since I have seen so many developers get locked into it and missing out on really cool innovative compilers like Emscripten. So perhaps give GCC a shot (via the MinGW distribution) or better yet, Clang (since there is so much great work done on this tool these days). As a bonus, you do not need to install runtimes to get the output working on other machines (single portable .dll instead).

Some IDEs you might like if you want something more than a text editor:

Code::Blocks

QtCreator

CLion

These can all be made to use Clang, GCC, Emscripten etc...

But... remember, a lot of professional software developers do not use IDEs, perhaps have a think as to why and decide if you really need one. You will be so much more dynamic if you can make do without.

I personally use vi on OpenBSD and Notepad++ on Windows. Both help me keep my sanity and also allow me to clearly see where Visual Studio has fscked up the formatting when I mark my student's assignments.

Also Visual Studio 2015 Community requires logging in before you can use it. I never trust this kind of stuff.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.
Advertisement
You can still target windows 7 with visual studio 2015.

I wouldn't recommend using a six year old compiler...

According to the steam hardware survey there are more poeple using Windows 10 and 8 combined than 7, and more using just 10 than 7 at all:

Windows 10 64 bit 42.94% +3.26%
Windows 7 64 bit 30.61% -1.64%
Windows 8.1 64 bit 10.07% -1.01%

Note that the steam hardware survey is skewed towards gamers which generally is what you want if you're writing a game.

Yes MS compilers can lag behind gcc etc for features but I still don't recommend them on Windows mainly due to personal opinion...

VS 2015 CE requries to log in only one time after installation, then you can log out and never sign it again (the requirement of re-log-in after a while should have been removed with one of the last updates). VS2010 is pretty old, it does not have a good C++11/14 conformance and the only free edition are in the form of express edition.

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/
I just wanted to say - perhaps to save you some time - when i installed the msvc 2015 community on my new windows 10 os (did clean install instead of upgrade) it wouldnt compile its own example c++ projects - not becasue I didnt include the right download packages, but because it needed to be set to run as admin.

This also happened with cmake projects - they were unable to verify the msvc c and c++ compilers/toolchain until i set cmake to run as admin. Setting it to always run as admin isnt the most intuitive thing either - but its easy enough to google.

This may be a no brainer for long time windows users but it actually took me the better portion of an evening to figure the run as admin thing out.

Also if you attend school check to see if you able to use the educational version and look at the clauses for commerical redistrution of sotfware made with it. Xbox has been trying to promote third party software but some don't like them just because its microsoft. I don't mind them never had any issues except Windows Vista which they would say is terrible. Also using older software is always going to miss feature and since microsoft wants more robustness vs features they are slow to support features. Even if many dont see there compiler as robust. But if you look at all the tools then you can respect them more.

Also many people have problems setting up the package but I have ran into little problems.

Bring more Pain

Also if you attend school check to see if you able to use the educational version and look at the clauses for commerical redistrution of sotfware made with it. Xbox has been trying to promote third party software but some don't like them just because its microsoft. I don't mind them never had any issues except Windows Vista which they would say is terrible. Also using older software is always going to miss feature and since microsoft wants more robustness vs features they are slow to support features. Even if many dont see there compiler as robust. But if you look at all the tools then you can respect them more.

Also many people have problems setting up the package but I have ran into little problems.

I have access to an older version of MSVS (I think it is the 2010 version) through my school if I connect to their servers through a virtual desktop via the internet, but on the off chance that something happens to them and because my internet connection at home tends to be shoddy at best I'd rather not rely on that for working on personal projects. I already do as much as I can outside of the virtual desktop when it comes to homework (I write the code out in notepad then email it to myself to run through the IDE or compiler that we are using) so I don't have to worry about losing anything.

I have downloaded Unity and from the tutorials it looks like I can do some coding there so I'll be giving that a shot too while I still look for something more up to date.

I have access to an older version of MSVS (I think it is the 2010 version) through my school if I connect to their servers through a virtual desktop via the internet, but on the off chance that something happens to them and because my internet connection at home tends to be shoddy at best I'd rather not rely on that for working on personal projects. I already do as much as I can outside of the virtual desktop when it comes to homework (I write the code out in notepad then email it to myself to run through the IDE or compiler that we are using) so I don't have to worry about losing anything.

I have downloaded Unity and from the tutorials it looks like I can do some coding there so I'll be giving that a shot too while I still look for something more up to date.

I mean your own personal copy can be obtained if your school is involved with dreamspark. You login and look for your school and if they are in the program then you can download the software. but best to luck

Bring more Pain

I mean your own personal copy can be obtained if your school is involved with dreamspark. You login and look for your school and if they are in the program then you can download the software. but best to luck

As far as I know they aren't, but thank you for the suggestion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement